8. magic

His skin when he turns^

I stepped into the diner once again but this time Raaf sat on my shoulder obediently. I had decided to bring him along this time, he seemed so happy when I got each night and I had started getting complaints about is lonely, longing squawks and jabbers from my neighbors. George's eyes widened at the bird perched on my shoulder.

I realized what might have startled her,"oh, I'm sorry, are birds allowed in here? I really should've asked."

"Oh no, it's fine, I've just never seen a bird so.....well behaved. What's it's name?"

"Raaf, he's been with me since I was 14."

"Wow, that's a pretty long life for a bird."

I scratched the back of my neck,"Yeah"

George's boss hollered at her from behind the counter,"oh, I better go, talk to you later then?"

"Sure"

I sauntered over to my regular booth with Mrs. Morrison and sat down. She didn't glance twice at Raaf as the bird fluttered to perch on the napkin holder. She had grown used to weird things happening around me. George set my usual cinnamon hot chocolate in front of me and went on her way to take care of another customer. After I settled on we continued on a subject we started the other day about the holocaust. A couple ours later I heard the chiming of music beginning. I stood up fixing my the skirt of my casual backless navy blue dress and walked away to join the uproar outside. Raaf fluttered behind my landing lightly on my shoulder as I stepped through the door. Once again I danced to the flowy music when I was with a partner we would be participating in a traditional ballroom dance, but when I was alone I would twirl in a ballet styled choreography.

As always I was the last danced in the middle and the started a new song just for me. Raaf flew in dizzying circles and dives as if he were joining me in my dance. The music had the same flow as the others but it felt less heavy and I found that my feet barely touched the ground. Just as the song reached its last leg something caught my eye. No, not something, someone. I froze, locked in a statue like pose with my left leg lifted behind me and my arms spread wide like wings. Slowly I fell from the position and stared at the someone who had interrupted my dance.

There he stood, the mysterious stranger, in all his glory. His dark brown hair was ruffled slightly and he wore a black button down shirt with the top buttons left undone. His crooked smile played on his lips as the chocolaty essence of his eyes melted my soul. Slowly, as if I would run if he moved to fast, he walked to towards me with strong confident steps. When he reached me he bowed low. As he rose he held out his hand to me.

"May I have this dance?" His husky voice hung in the air. The crowd had gone silent the moment I had frozen. His eyes danced with amusement as I stood shocked at his sudden appearance. Finally I snapped out of my daze and lightly placed my hand on his. As soon as I touched him he pulled me tightly to him and as if I'm on cue the band set to playing a slow, dark melody that responded throughout the streets. He led me into a waltz that flowed perfectly with the threatening music. Raaf continued flitting about us as we danced causing an air of magic to pervade the area. People sighed as he twirled me and gasped at each sensually low dip and as we whirled around the dance floor created by the throng of people you could feel their eyes on our every step. None of this bothered me, all I could see were his eyes in front of me glittering mischeviously and all I could feel were his hands causing bursts of fire to appear and place his hands grazed against my body.

In an almost silent whisper I questioned him coyly,"did you come back to reclaim what I have held for you?"

"Oh my dear, that and much more." As he said this his eyes ravished my body.

"Will you tease me as before and then disappear without a trace?"

"No, angel, not this time"

As we concluded the dance he spun me once more and dipped me so low that my long hair slightly swished against the back. Instead of lifting me back up he leaned down and brushed his lips against my throat.

"Take a walk with me, will you?"

The sensation once again locked me in his spell and I answered pleasingly as a slave might.

"Anything for you."

He lifted me back up into his arms and stepped away causing me to nearly lean back in towards him, missing the body heat. No, I told myself, you can not fall for his charming actions and attractive aura, he is nothing but a play boy.

He held his arm out to my and hesitantly I slipped mine through his and he led me towards a garden path I had not noticed till now. We looked as a young married couple might, strolling along the moonlit path. As we reached a stone bench he stopped, turning to me. Instead of sitting as I thought we would, he pulled me in close to him, our bodies pressed together.

"I must reclaim what is mine."

He crashed his lips to mine in a passionate embrace. I could not bring myself to stop him. It seemed as if I couldn't move. I fell limp into his arms, holding onto him for support. Pulling away we both breathed shallow and rushed breaths. Leaning in again he whispered softly in my ear.

"And so much more."

If it was possible he wrapped his arms tighter around me and placed a strong of kisses down my neck.

Suddenly I felt to hot for comfort. Opening my eyes I gasped and struggled to escape his grasp. His skin had turned into a mix of liquid lava and onyx. Instead of his charming brown eyes his pupils had narrowed into catlike slots and his irises glowed with a fiery hue within the once white outer Rom of the eye had turned black. I could hear his shirt rip as large, pitch black wings exploded from his back, each feather tipped with flame.

Screamed but I knew no one would be able to here me. His haunting eyes were the last thing I saw before choking on smoke and losing consciousness.