36 - Whitney

Whitney

It was today, 'D' day also known as the day Carlos – Rai's eldest brother – came out of jail. I knew he wanted to ask me to go with him. I could see it when he talked about this day, I knew it every time he told me stories about his hero. I also knew he wouldn't formally ask me, so, Friday afternoon, the day before Carlos' freedom, while we both shared a piece of pie in Central Square, I asked him.

"Do you want me to go with you, tomorrow?"

He stopped eating, and nodded, not looking at me, but he squeezed my hand on the table, and I knew he liked the fact that I offered. He could never say it out loud. He's proud, even with me, he acts proud. I get it, I don't try to rationalize it anymore. Rai's like that to me: funny, cute, sweet, smart. To others, he is just a troublemaker, a gang member. He is a gang member, but I hope that changes soon.

See, I have a plan. My plan is to make Rai come to visit some colleges with me. I think if he sees how great to get a higher education could be, he'll get excited and finally decide to change his life. It would have to be his decision though, you see? If I say the word 'college' in front of him again, I think his aneurism will pop.

So, here we are, at the doors – or metal gate – of the County Jail. The tall brick wall is silent, the sun is warm; it's November in central California.

"You ok?"

Rai nodded, his hand crushing mine. He was nervous and anxious. His dad was with us, but Santana stayed at my place, with Carlie. I offered as I knew Mr. Vega wouldn't want to bring his daughter out here, in the middle of the state, to pick her ex-con elder brother. Not a good thing for a fourteen-year-old to have to go through.

The metal door of the gate opened, and a guard came out with a tanned, tall, handsome tattooed man. He wore a long jersey sweater, tattered jeans, and dark boots. I could see tattoos both on his neck and hands. If I thought Rai and his friends were scary, the poker face guy that hugged Mr. Vega was like the Diablo himself. I felt myself shiver, and I sensed Rai's own nervousness stir.

"Mi hermano." Carlos said, his voice deep and not so raspy, it was actually more melodic, that was the word for it "Don't I get a hug?"

Rai let go of my hand and held his brother. Carlos punched him in the shoulders, smiling all happy. Then he looked at me, and his dark eyes narrowed; I felt the ice flow in my veins. I felt like I was marked by a raven to die – no pun intended.

Carlos talked in Spanish with his brother for a while, always staring at me. I couldn't catch what they were saying 'cause they both talked really fast. Still, I could get the tension in the conversation. If not by Carlos angry tone, or by Rai's icy responses, maybe the fact that Mr. Vega put his arms between his two sons could be the hint. I just stood quietly and very very still. Maybe if I didn't attract attention to myself all would end up well.

"You bring a fuckin' white chick to come pick up your brother?" Carlos said, this time in English, and his voice was angry and tense.

"Her name's Whitney. You don't call her by her name, you don't talk to her at all, understand that, my brother?" Rai growled at Carlos, and I swallowed hard.

"I don't care what your slut's name is" Carlos growled, waving his tanned tattooed hand to dismiss the subject.

I gasped when I saw Rai grab his brother's shirt by the collar. Oh shit...

"You don't treat my girl like that, you heard me... brother?" Rai hissed, so low I almost didn't hear him.

"Niños, stop that." Mr. Vega said, breaking them up "This is a happy day. Let's wait until we get home for you to pick a fight."