Chapter 1

A/N- Okay so this is my first story so please don't judge. I really hope you guys enjoy this and let me know what you guys think!

Avery's POV

I was woken up by a sudden shake of my shoulder. "Come on Avery yous gotta get up" Spot, my twin brother, said while violently shaking me.

"Okay okay calm down you'se hurting me" I said while shoving my face in my pillow.

"Okay but if yous not up in 5 I'm throwin ya in tha river."

I knew he wasn't joking either, he's done it to a couple of newsies before and trust me Spot may not seem like the strongest person but he sure can pick someone up.

I finally got up and changed into my usual clothes. I brushed my hair, put my cap on, and grabbed my slingshot. Most of the newsies had a slingshot to use if we were ever in danger or to just use for fun.

"Finally yous up" Spot said as I walked out of the lodging house on the dock.

Most of the newsies were still on the dock preparing to start a day of selling papes.

"Alright guys let's get goin' and sell some papes!" Spot shouted at all the newsies once everyone was ready.

It was a normal day of selling papes and once everyone was done we all met back at the dock.

By the time I got to the dock, most of the newsies were here and Spot was sitting on his pile of crates like usual.

I climbed up the crates to join him and looked at all the boys jumping into the river. They usually did that after selling papes and sometimes I would join them in the fun.

"So some of the spies have heard about a strike the 'Hatten newsies are planning to do." Spot said while we looked over the dock. Yes we do have spies, that's how we are the most respected of the newsies. We always know what's happening in New York.

"A strike? Whys they wantin to start a strike?"

"Theys startin one cause the amount for papes has risin a tenth of a cent or somethin." 

As if on cue I see 3 boys who weren't Brooklyn newsies walking up the dock. I know only two, Jack and Boots, but I've barely talked to them before. I've mostly talked to Boots but I wonder who the third guy is.

"Well, if it ain't Jack Be Nimble. Jack Be Quick." I hear my brother say.

"So you moved up in the world Spot, got a river view and everything." Jack said while looking at Spot then to me.

We looked at each other for a couple seconds till I looked away. I don't remember Jack being this cute. Wait I can't think like that, my brother would never let me leave the dock again if he knew I thought that about Jack.

Spot jumped off the crates to go talk to Jack and I followed. They both looked at each other then spit in their hands and shook hands. 

"Hey Boots, hows it rollin'?" I asked. I knew Boots more than Jack since hes been over here more so we've talked a couple of times while he was here.

"Hey, I got you and Spot a couple real good shooters here." Boots said while sticking his hand out with some rocks and marbles in it.

I take one and aim at a bottle while Spot aims at another bottle beside mine.

" So, Jacky Boy, I've been hearin' things from little birds" Spot said, still aiming at the bottle.

I let go and my marble goes flying towards the bottle hitting it perfectly. I could see the new guy flinch which made me laugh a little.

"Things from Harlem, Queens..."

Spot also let's go and hits his bottle perfectly too and continued to talk to Jack.

"All over. Theys chirpin' in me ear."

"Jacky Boy's newsies playin' like they goin' on strike." I finally said after staying quiet for a little while.

"Yeah well we are." Jack said staring at me. Wow his eyes were beautiful. Wait no I can't think like that I got to stop.

"Well, we're not playin'. We are going on strike" the other boy said stepping in front of Jack

"Oh yeah, yeah? What is this Jacky Boy some kind of walkin' mouth?" Spot said as he got closer to the new guy, getting into his face.

"Yeah it a mouth, a mouth with a brain. If you got half of one, you'll listen to him" Jack said looking at the both of us as he leaned against a crate.

Spot and I went to sit on another crate and looked at the walking mouth waiting for him to speak.

"Well, we started the strike, but we can't do it alone. So we've been talkin' to other newsies all around the city." The walking mouth said before getting interrupted by Spot.

"Yeah, so they told me."

"But what did they tell you?" I said wondering what he'll say.

"They're waitin' to see what Spot and Avery Conlon does. You guys are the key. That Spot and Avery Conlon are the most respected and famous newsies in all of New York. And probably everywhere else."

This walking mouth sure does know how to persuade people but I don't know if Spot is getting persuaded like I am. He's pretty tough to convince.

"And if Spot and Avery Conlon joins the strike then they'll join." The walking mouth continues.

"We'll be unstoppable. You guys gotta join us because... well you gotta." The walking mouth finishes.

I look over at Spot to see what he will say and to see if he is as persuaded as I am.

"Well, you're right Jack. Brains. But I got brains too. And more than just half of one." Spot says as he stands taking out his pimp cane.

"How do we know you punks won't run the first time a goon comes at ya with a club?" I say deciding to join the conversation.

"How do we know you got what it takes to win?" Spot says while looking at the walking mouth.

"'Cause I'm tellin' you, Spot" Jack says while still leaning on his crate.

Spot walks over to where I was standing and turns to stand beside me.

"That ain't good enough Jacky Boy. You gotta show us."

The 3 boys finally leave but I can't stop thinking about Jack. I know I can't fall for him but something about him is different than the rest of the newsies and I don't know what but I sure can't stop thinking about him.

A/N- So guys that is the end of my first chapter. Please tell me what y'all think. I'm sorry if it's too long just wanted to get the whole scene in. I'm also sorry if its really bad I just wanted to try my hand at writing a book. I'll hopefully have the next chapter up soon!