Chapter 14

Avery's POV

David and Jack were talking for a long time and Jack would look over at me a few times. He wouldn't look at me for long as he would look at the ground or back at David. A while after they started talking David started to raise his voice. 

"Fine! You know what? That's good cause we don't need you! We don't need you! Cause all those words you said were mine." Was all we could hear from their conversation before they started to talk to where only they can hear again.

David turned to walk away but he stopped and looked at us. He must have saw how disappointed and mad we were because he turned around and ran toward Jack before he was stopped. He was then thrown towards us and Jack started walking through us. Everyone was yelling at him but me. I couldn't. I was too disappointed and hurt. Jack looked over at me with sadness in his eyes before looking away. We all went to the front of the crowd to watch him leave.

"I trusted you!" yelled Boots.

"Seize the day, huh Jack?" yelled Race.

"He's foolin them so he can spy on em or something. Yeah, yeah that's it he's foolin em" Said Les with a hopeful voice. David pulled Les to him while me and Spot patted him on the back.

"Yeah, hes spyin on em kid" Race said as he patted Les' cheek. Les wanted to believe what he said was true but the other newsies knew better. If that was Jack's plan he would have told someone but he didn't. He fooled us into believing he was serious about the strike but ended up going to the other side. We all turned around and started walking to the 'Hatten lodging house.

"How you feelin sis?" Spot asked after he finally calmed down from everything.

"Feelin betrayed. Yous was right Spot he's no good, I just wish I knew that sooner." If only I knew that sooner than I would have not gotten involved with Jack and would have not fallen for him. 

"Its okay sis. Now you know. I just want whats best for ya. I'm sorry about all of this." He said as he put his arm around me and gave me a hug.

"It's okay Spot. There's nothin you could have done to stop me for fallin for Jack. I just need to get over him."

"How about just me and yous hangout for the day like old times? Take your mind off of things" Spot said which made me feel a little better. I loved when me and Spot would hangout. We haven't gotten to recently because of the strike and taking care of the Brooklyn newsies. 

"That would be great"

"Hey guys, me and Avery are gonna head off. We will meet you guys later." Spot said and the guys all said their goodbyes before we left. They were still mad about what happened, so was Spot and I but we decided to do things we use to do to take our mind off of all of this.

We ended up heading back to Brooklyn and spent the rest of the day walking around, joking with each other and just having fun. I'm glad we did this because it was very much needed.

Jack's POV

After I was done selling I was taken back to the pape distribution center. Weasel took me to the basement of the center which is where I would be staying. Everything was dusty and it had a bad smell down there. 

"One trick Cowboy and it's back to the refugee" Weasel said as he waved for me to come into the basement. He picked up a sheet and threw it at me which caused a lot of dust to fly around. I threw my stuff on the bed and sat down. 

Weasel said something else but I wasn't listening. I was thinking about the newsies. I was disappointed with myself that I threw the strike away by agreeing to this. I let the newsies down. I let Avery down. How can I be so stupid by doing this and hurting her. Spot must hate me for being a trader and for hurting her. 

Avery hasn't left my mind. She was all I thought about as I laid down and went to sleep on the very uncomfortable bed.

A/N- I just wanted to make a quick update so sorry if this chapter is bad but thank you guys for over 500 reads!!! I know that may not seem like a lot but this is my first book and I never thought I would get this many!! Thank you guys so much it means a lot!! Please comment and vote so I know how y'all feel about this book!