Chapter 5

Avery's POV 

Since we were on strike we didn't have to wake up as early as before when we were selling papes. Once everyone was up and ready we headed to 'hatten to help plan and prepare for the rally that night. 

"How'd you sleep sis?" Spot asked as we were walking.

"Pretty good." I said as I though about the night before with Jack. It was the best night i've had in awhile.

"Whats on your  mind?" Spot asked when he saw that I was smiling at the ground.

"Oh uh nothin'." I said not knowing what to say so that Spot doesn't find out about the night before.

Once we got to 'hatten we headed to Tibby's which was basically the newsies hangout spot. I saw Jack sitting at a table with David, Mush, Racetrack, and another girl I've never seen before. She was sitting beside Jack  and was very close to him. This annoyed me a little but I couldn't show it because I didn't want Spot to find out about us yet.

Spot and I headed to the table and we were greeted with hellos.

"Hey Spot and Avery, this is Sarah my sister." David said to Spot and I as he pointed to the girl beside Jack. 

"Come on guys, sit so wes can talk bout the strike." Jack said pointing to the empty chairs.

I sat on the other side of Jack as Spot sat beside me. I kept eyeing that girl Sarah. I did not trust her and I did not want her anywhere Jack. I guess Jack saw me eyeing her because he put his hand on my leg under the table so no one saw. This made me melt a little, just his touch gives me butterflies.

"So guys what wes gonna do at the rally?" Mush asks while sipping on his root beer.

"Wells me, David, Spot and Avery is gonna stand on the stage and convince everyone that this strike is a good idea. We gotta get everyone on tha same page. I've talked to Medda and she agreed to sing afterwards." Jack said knowing exactly what we are gonna do.

"What if the bulls come?" David asked looking kinda worried. 

"Then we will scram, there's lots of exits in Meddas so we can escape." Jack said.

Everyone knows about Jack escaping the refugee and him trying not to get caught again. I really hope the bulls don't come for everyone's safety and for Jack as well, we're just now becoming close and I don't want that to be ruined.

Jack's POV

We were at Tibby's discussing about the rally and I could see Avery glaring at Sarah. I could kinda see why because Sarah has been a little flirty but I didn't think much of it. Avery has my heart so I kept my hand on her leg so she knew I cared for her. 

After Davey brought up the subject about the bulls I couldn't stop thinking about what would happen. I can't get caught by the bulls, not now after I'm just now becoming close with Avery. I just hope the bulls don't come, I can't have my friends or myself get caught and put into the refugee I would feel guilty about it. Everything just has to go as planned.