Chapter 6

Avery's POV

Spot went back to Brooklyn to tell the Brooklyn newsies about the rally and surprisingly he let me stay. Jack and I went to Medda's to make sure she was ready for tonight. We decided to walk through the park as we were heading there.

"Soo.. I know it's hard to talk about but what was yous past like?" Jack asked while we were walking through the park.

He's right it can be hard to talk about sometimes but I decided to talk about it with him.

"Well when me and Spot were young our mudda and fatha died from a sickness. Me and Spot then decided to leave our small town not far from Brooklyn so we didn't get the sickness either. We walked for awhile till a Newsie found us. At the time he was the leader of the Brooklyn newsies and he decided to let us join. He was like our big brudder he took good care of us." I said as we continued to walk through the park

"What happened to him?" Jack asked

"After a couple years when me and Spot were 14 he said it was time for him to go but didn't say why or where he was goin. He gathered all the newsies and told them that he is making Spot and me the new leaders. He said he had good trust in us that we would be able to handle bein leaders. I guess we were pretty good at it cause now wes know as the King and Queen of Brooklyn. We still don't know where he went though." I said finishing my story.

"What about you?" I asked after a minute of silence.

"Me mudda died when I was really young and after she did my fatha  was never the same. He started to get in a lot of trouble and now he's in jail."

"Oh wow. How did you become the leader of the newsies?" I asked

"Well the original leader died a few years ago after having a fight with some newsies from Harlem. All the other newsies then voted me as the new leader and I've been the leader ever since." Jack said finishing his story as well.

We continued to make small talk while heading to Medda's. Once we got there Jack opened the door and let me go in first. It was a small room that looked to be in the back of a stage. We heard footsteps coming down the small set of stairs.

"Jack! What are you doing here so early?" She said as she pulled him into a hug.

"Wes just wanted  to make sure you were ready for tonight. And by the way this is Avery she is a newsie from Brooklyn" Jack said as Medda and I shook hands.

"You are very beautiful!" Medda said.

"Thank you! You'se very beautiful too"   I said back with a smile.

-------

"Is there anything you need before we leave?" Jack asked as we got ready to head back.

"No thank you. I'll see you guys tonight!" Medda said as we opened the door and headed out.

"See you later Medda!" I said before we closed the door.

"She is really nice. How do you know her?" I asked as we walked back through the park hand in hand.

"She is an old friend of me fatha." Jack said.

"Are you ready for tonight?" I asked as I looked up at him.

Before he could answer we heard a voice that I did not want to hear at the moment.

"What is this?!" We heard an all too familiar voice.

I turned around scared to see who it was and sure enough it was who I thought it was...

Spot.