Chapter 3

Avery's POV

It was the next morning and I was awake before Spot since I wasn't able to sleep much. I kept on thinking about Jack the whole night. I got up to get ready to go to 'hatten to join the strike. I got dressed and brushed my hair and put it in a high ponytail. By the time I was finished getting ready the rest of the newises including Spot was ready as well.

"You ready sis?" Spot asked as he threw his arm around my shoulder.

"Yea" I said trying to hide how nervous I was to see Jack again.

It took a little while to get to 'hatten but by the time we got there we saw that the gates were shut and there were many people in the pape distribution center. We saw that the newsies were in trouble.

"Alright wes got to help them everyone up to the roof." Spot said turning to us

Since not all the newsies could go up on the roof he picked some newsies including me to take up to the roof and we all climbed up. We got up and everyone popped up from where they were hiding with slingshots in hand. 

Spot and I jumped down to a little place beside a building making a huge noise when we landed with a few newsies beside us. 

"Never fear, Brooklyn's here" Spot said with a smile on his face.

"Its Brooklyn!" I heard a few newsies say.

All the Brooklyn newsies took there slingshots out and aimed at all the guys who were fighting the newsies. After I shot a few guys I heard Jack say "Hey, Spot!" and saw Spot hold onto a hook and swung down kicking a couple of the bad guys down. He then spit shook with Jack and continued to fight. I continued to shoot guys with my slingshot while Spot helped fight on the bottom. Spot then went to open the gates to let the rest of the newsies in to help fight. 

The newsies were finally able to push the bad guys through a door and closed it. I then jumped down to join Spot and the rest of the boys to celebrate defeating the bad guys. 

I then heard "Jack! Boys! Freeze!" and saw a guy with a camera standing in front of us. We all got ready and Jack put his arm around me which made butterfly start to flutter in my stomach. Wow just his touch makes me feel this way. We all smiled for the camera except the walking mouth who was hopping on one foot because his other was hurt. 

After the picture we all decided to meet at Tibby's to celebrate. After arriving we all sat around and ate our food. I sat beside Spot who sat at a table with a few other Brooklyn newsies. Jack was sitting at a table behind us. 

After awhile Denton came in with a pape in his hand.

"Hey guys! This is it!" he said while holding up the pape. 

He put it in front of Jack and we all crowded around him to see our picture. We all started talking at once wanting to see the picture. 

"Wheres me pictura? Wheres me pictura?" Spot kept say and I lightly slapped him for being annoying. 

"Them words there, they all about us?" Boots asked. I guess Boots doesn't know how to read like a lot of other newsies don't since we don't go to school. Luckily I learned how to read from other newsies who did know how to read.

"Look at you Jack you look like a gentleman or somethin'." Mush said while pointing at Jacks picture. While at the restaurant I was able to learn all the newsies names thanks to Spot who introduced me.

"Will you get your fingers off my face" Jack said while rubbing the pape clean. 

"Aye look Jack has his arm aroun' Avery theys cute together" I heard Bumlets say which made me blush a little but I tried to hide it. Spot gave him a little glare and continued looking at the pape. I saw Jack look up and he had a little smirk on his face. Good thing Spot didn't see or he would get pretty mad. 

"Where does it say me name?" Spot said changing the topic.

"Will you quit thinkin' about youself" I said lightly hitting Spot again.

"You got us on the front page!" I heard David say. Turns out his name isn't just the walking mouth.

"You got yourselves on the front page. I just got to make sure you stay there." Denton said while eating his food. 

"So what? You get ya pictura in tha pape. What does that get ya?" Skittery asked sounding like he was in a bad mood.

"What are ya talkin' about, huh?" Mush asks lightly pushing Skittery. 

"You've been in a bad mood all day." Jack said, saying exactly what I was thinking.

"I'm not in a bad mood!" He said with a little attitude.

"Glum and dumb" Racetrack said as he pushed Skittery's face almost making it hit Mush in the face. I laugh a little at that seeing how he almost hit Mush.

"Whats the matter with you? Yous in the papes yous famous! You'se famous you get anything you want. And thats whats so great about New York!" Race said as he slammed his fist onto the table. 

"Yeah!" we shouted agreeing with Race. He was right when you're in the pape you become famous. 

"A pair of shoes with matchin' laces" I hear Mush sing while looking of into the distance.

"A permanent box at Sheepshead races" Race sang while also looking into the distance.

"A porcelain tub with boilin' wata" Spot and I sang at the same time. We looked at each other and laughed knowing how much we think alike.

"A Saturday night with the mayor's daughter!" Kid Blink sang earning a few yeahs and slaps on the back.

All the newsies began to sing about being the king of New York. It was pretty fun hanging out with all of the newsies but I couldn't stop looking at Jack. He had a huge smile on his face which made me go a little weak at the knees. Jack caught me staring at him and he came over to where I was standing. 

"Whatcha starin' at?" he asked with a huge smile on his face.

"Nothin'" I said knowing he could see me blushing as I looked at the floor then back up to him.

"How about you meet me at the Brooklyn Bridge tonight." Jack said still smiling.

"O-Okay" I said hoping Spot won't find out. 

Before Jack could say anything else he was dragged to a table to talk about the strike. 

I went to stand beside Spot and tried to pay attention to what was happening but Jack kept coming back to my mind. I just hope Spot doesn't catch me going to the Brooklyn Bridge to meet Jack.