Chapter 2

Jack's POV

We left the docks after talking to Spot and Avery trying to get them to join the strike. I found my self starting to think about Avery.

She was so beautiful. I could barely take my eyes off of her. I guess good looks run in the family knowing that many girls find Spot attractive also.

I wouldn't mind making her my goil but knowing Spot he'll never let that happen, I know how protective he is of her.

I don't even know if she would like me back but I don't need to have someone else to care for right now. I just have to focus on this strike and then on a way to get out of here and go to Santa Fe.  Its just... I can't stop thinking about her and I guess the boys saw I was in deep thought.

"Hey Jack what ya thinkin' about?" Boots asked as we were walking on the Brooklyn Bridge.

"Nothin' Boots just tryin' to think of ways to get people to join the strike." I said even though that was no where close to what I was thinking. But I can't let them know I was thinking about her or at least not now when we have a strike to deal with.

Avery's POV

I was on top of the crates laying back looking up at the sky. I was thinking about Jack as he never left my mind. I ended up going into a deep thought about him that I didn't realize that Spot had climbed up onto the crates too until he said something.

"What ya thinkin' about Avery? You seem to be in deep thought."

"Oh um.. just what wes should do about this strike. Should wes join?" I asked Spot as I sat up.

"I don't know if wes should join. I sent out a couple spies to see if theys serious about this strike. They should come back before dark and we'll make our decision then." Spot said

If we join the strike then that means I'll be seeing more of Jack which is a good and bad thing. Its good because I could actually talk to him and get to know him. But it's also bad cause I know I can't fall for Jack, I just can't.

"Okay well, I'm going to go walk around and I'll be back by dark so we can talk about it." I said while hoping off the crate and onto the dock.

"Okay but be careful sis, don't want ya gettin' hurt." Spot said as I waved back so he knew I heard him.

I can take care of and protect myself. I just need to go on a walk to clear my mind of Jack so we can focus on the strike if we join. But it was pretty hard to forget about him and before I knew it, it was almost dark so I headed back to the dock.

I heard footsteps behind me and didn't think much of it until someone pushed me into an alley.

"Well, well if it isn't Miss Queen of Brooklyn herself." The guy said. I've never seen him before so what does he want with me.

"What do you want?" I asked as he kept backing me into the alley.

"Ise been havin some problems with Spot. To tell him to stop messin with me, my only resort is to hurt his precious sista. But don't worry, I wont hort ya too badly so you can still relay my message" He said with a smirk on his face.

I knew I couldn't let him hurt me cause Spot would never let me out of his sight again. I drew my hand back and punched him in the face. It hurt pretty bad but I couldn't show it, not wanting to seem weak.  He stumbled forward a little where I was able to knee him in the stomach. He was on the ground which gave me enough time to run but he grabbed my ankle and I fell to the ground.

He started to get on top of me and drew his hand back to slap me but he suddenly grabbed the back of his neck and yelped. I didn't know what happen but I was able to push him off and kick him in the stomach again. He was on the ground in pain as I ran out of the alley when I saw one of our spies with his slingshot out. I guess he shot the guy in the neck while he was on top of me.

"You know you didn't have to help me, Curly" I said to the spy even though I was glad he did.

"Well, didn't want the Queen of Brooklyn gettin' hort" He said while shoving me a little. I just hope Spot doesn't find out about this so he won't worry about me anymore than he does now.

We got back to the dock and Spot came towards us. I surprisingly got back before it was really dark.

"So Curly got any news for us?" Spot asked as we all walked toward the lodging house.

Curly was one of our best spies so we usually sent him on the important jobs knowing we can trust him.

"Well they got back and when the circulation bell rang they all ran to the pape distribution center. They got there and started to mess the place up. Papes were everywhere, they were turning carts over, and throwing rotten fruit at the door of the news pape office." Curly said as he sat in a chair.

"Hmm seems they are somewhat serious." Spot said looking like he was in deep thought.

"What do you think sis?" He asked turning to me.

"I think wes should help them and join the strike. Like the walking mouth said if wes join than everyone else will."

"I was thinkin' the same thing." Spot said as he put his arm around my shoulder.

"So I guess wes joinin' the strike, we'll go to 'hatten tomorrow. Let me go tell all the boys." Spot said as he left the room with Curly following behind.

I was excited to join but that also means I'll be seeing more of Jack. I just hope I can focus on the strike and not on Jack's dreamy eyes.... this isn't going to be good.

A/N- Im sorry for this really bad chapter. Like I said before this is my first story I have written. Hopefully it will get better. Let me know what you think of this and if I should keep writing or not!