Chapter 12

Jack's POV 

I was frustrated that David and Avery came to help me. I know they meant well but I didn't need help. And I just wasn't sure why. Part of me wanted to stay behind but part of me also wanted to go with them.

I told David and Avery to leave and after a while they did. As they turned to walk away I was wondering why I did and that I should just go with them. I want to be with Avery but something was just holding me back.

Before I knew it Avery turned around and ran towards me. She was already up to me and smashed her lips onto mine before I could react. I didn't pull away but instead kissed back. This could be the last opportunity I could do this so I took it. She pulled away and and I looked into her eyes which had sadness in them before she turned and ran off back with Davey.

All I could do was watch as they walked away. I wanted to go with them, I really did, but I knew I had to stay. There was no way I can run anymore and I couldn't pass up the deal to become a scab and be paid more than I could imagine so I could finally go to Santa Fe. I'm no good for Avery anyways, I've already gotten her into so much trouble and danger that she would be better off without me. I leaned against the wall as they turned the corner knowing this could be the last time I ever saw them again.

I headed back to the refugee so I could turn myself back in.

"Well, well if it isn't Mr. Sullivan" Snyder said as he grabbed my arm. All I did was just look at him.

"I have a special place for you." He said as he took me to a little room that had a bed with no mattress and a little table beside it. He closed the doors and I sat on the ground next to the window. I started to think about Santa Fe till Crutchy opened the little slot.

"Hey Jack. Look. I snitched it off of Snyder's plate as I was servin him" Crutchy said as he handed me a piece of bread. He started to talk about the food Snyder gets before I interrupted him.

"So what does it get ya?" I said grabbing the bread and looking at it.

"Another three months probably." He said as he looked down. "But you can't let them bet you, right Jack? That's what you always say."  Crutchy said trying to lighten the mood.

"Wes was beat when wes was born" I said as Crutchy stayed there quiet for a could seconds before closing the slot. I went to sit on the bed and continued to think about Santa Fe till I started thinking about Avery. 

She was my happiness, she is beautiful, and I want to be with her. I miss her. I miss her every time we are not together. I wish Spot would have just let us be together but there is no point anymore, I'm no good for her. Besides, once they figure out why I really didn't go with Davey and Avery they all will be mad at me. They will never trust me again and Avery will probably hate me for it but I have to think about myself now.

I got up to go look out the window as I kept on thinking about Santa Fe and Avery.

A/N- Sorry for the short chapter. I will try to update tomorrow. Thank you for reading and don't forget to comment and vote!!