Chapter 21

Avery's POV

I woke up before any of the other newsies so I took in the quietness. I usually don't get this in Brooklyn since Spot likes to wake everyone up early. I looked up to see Jack looking adorable. His hair was all messed up and his lips where parted just a little bit letting out soft snores. He looked so peaceful. I got out of his grip and got up. I leaned over and kissed his lips waking him up.

"Good mornin" I said letting out a small laugh. 

"Mornin. That's the best way Ise ever been woken up." He said as he had a big smile and grabbed my face bringing me down for one more kiss. Once we parted I walked over to the washrooms and got ready for the day. Today was the day that we see if we can win the strike. Lets hope that the sweatshop kids show up today. As I was finishing up the rest of the newsies woke up and started to get ready as well. We all finished and walked downstairs to leave.

"Hey Racetrack how are ya?" I said making small talk with Race since I haven't talked to him in awhile. Since he always goes to Sheepshead Races which is in Brooklyn I would sometimes seem him and catch up on things.

"I'm pretty good, same old same old like always. How are you and Jack?" He asked nudging me with a goofy smile which made me laugh.

"Well as of right now we are good. Its been complicated but we're good now" I said. We continued to talk about random things like the tracks and cigars which I don't even know how we got to that topic. We finally arrived to Newsies Square where we saw Sarah, David and Les waiting.

"Hey Davey. How ya feelin?" I asked seeing that he was still a little beat up but looking better than before.

"I'm feelin better and lookin better" He said with a small laugh.

"Wells that good to hear"

"Hows you and Jack? Are you guys good now?" David asked.

"I think we are good now, at least I'm hoping we are. I've forgive him about before" I said as I looked at Jack who was talking to Mush.

"That's good, I hope you two work out. You two are real good together" David said as we both walked over to join Jack and the others. We all sat around for awhile waiting and talking with each other. A few of the newsies seemed to be getting impatient as time went on.

"So whens the other comin Kid?" Mush asked Kid Blink as he was walking around.

"They ain't comin. It ain't gonna be nobody but us." Jack said getting up from where he was sitting sounding irritated.

"Hey you don't know that Jack, they could come" I said as I went over to him and put one arm around him. Les came up to us and Jack pulled him in for a small hug.

"Come on Jack" Snitch said with a little hope in his voice.

"Have hope Jack" Specs said after him. We saw Les walk away so Race followed him and so did I.

"When the circulation bell starts ringing will we hear it?" Les sang looking into the distance.

"Nah" Race said as he pushed Les' hat down playfully.

"What if the Delancy's come out swingin will we hear it?" Race sang as he pretended to hit Les making me laugh.

"No!" Les said answering what Race said.

"Atta boy" I said rubbing Les' back as Jack came behind us putting a hand on both of our shoulders. The rest of the newsies came towards us as we all looked into the distance hoping to see the sweatshop kids. We all heard singing which made everyone get excited and start looking around.