Chapter 9

Avery's POV

Me, Spot, Mush, Race, Kid Blink, Bumlets and a few other newises that were caught were put in the back of a wagon to be taken to the courthouse. I looked over at Spot who was staring at the floor. 

"What are we going to do guys?" Mush asked since everyone was quiet.

"Who knows Mush, wes just got to not get put in the refugee first then figure out what to do with Jack" Spot said. 

"I mean they don't really have a reason to put us in the refugee" I said 

"They always come up with a reason though" Race responded.

---------

We arrived at the courthouse and was put into the room where the judge was. Since everything happened really late at night it was now close to morning.

We went up to the judge and Spot was in front with me and Race beside him. 

"Court is now in session. Judge E.A Monahan presiding" a Bull said to the courtroom.

"Are any of you represented by counsel?" The judge asked.

No one knew what he meant and everyone looked around confused. "What does he mean by a counsel?" I asked Spot. "I don't know" he responded.

"No? Good, good. That'll move things along considerably."

"Your honor, I object." Spot said.

Oh no, knowing Spot he's about to say something dumb. I love Spot but he can be dumb sometimes.

"On what grounds?" asked the judge

"On the grounds of Brooklyn your honor." Spot said with a serious face.

There it was, Spot said something dumb but it was funny. I pushed him a little as I laughed along with all of the other newsies. 

The judge slammed his hammer thing down which made everyone go quiet and he said "I fine each of you $5 or two weeks confinement in the house of refugee."

I looked over at Spot in panic as did the other newsies. I don't have $5 and I know for a fact no other newsie with me right now does either. 

"Whoa, whoa, hey we ain't got five bucks. We don't even got five cents." Race said which I agreed with. This isn't fair.

"Your honor how about I roll you for it? Double or nothin'." Race said which made him sound as dumb as Spot but also funny. We all laugh which seemed like it made the judge angry again. 

"Move along, Move along" He said 

"Your honor, I'll pay the fines. All of them" Denton said as he entered the gates with David following. This was a relief, I did not want to go to the refugee. Denton and David came over towards us after they got through the gate.

"You guys alright? Where's Jack?" David asked. We shrugged our shoulders not knowing where he was.

"Look, we got to meet at the restaurant. Everybody we have to talk." Denton said as he went up to the fence that separated us. 

"Pay the clerk, move it along" The judge said again and that's when we saw Jack come out. 

"Hey fellas" Jack said looking over at us. We made eye contact and he smiled but he didn't have that usual sparkle in his eye. He had a sad look in his eye that he hid with his smile. It took all I had not to force my way through to him.

"Hey Cowboy, nice shiner" Race said which made us break eye contact. We started to walk away as Denton and David went over to the clerk and Jack. We stopped at the door so we could watch what happens. 

"Hey Denton, I guess we made all the papes this time. So how'd my picture look?" 

"None of the papers covered the rally not even The Sun." Denton said as he paid the clerk for all of our fines.

How could they not cover it? So much happened at the rally that they should have so why didn't they?

"Case of Jack Kelly. Inciting to riot, assault, and resisting arrest." The clerk said as Jack was pushed to the judge. And of course Snyder showed up.

As everything went on Snyder revealed everything about Jack. His really name which was Francis Sullivan, what happened to his parents, and why he was in the refugee. 

Everyone looked surprised especially David who also looked disappointed. Jack never told me his real name or why he was in the refugee, only what happened to his parents which based on how everyone looked I was the only one who knew. 

"I ask for him to be returned to the house of refugee and that the court order his incarceration until the age of 21 in the hope that we may yet guide him to a useful and productive life." Snyder said with a smirk on his face as he looked from the judge to Jack.

"So ordered" the judge says as he slams the hammer thing down again.

"NO!" Les shouted.

"No" I whispered.

As they were taking Jack away he looked over at me one last time and then went through the door.

A/N- Hope you guys are enjoying this book. I was thinking about starting a preference book of the newsies but i'm not quite sure if I am yet. Comment what you think of this book and thanks for reading!