Chapter 18

Avery's POV

We all got to work helping in some way to write the pape. Denton got letters and put them all together forming what will be on the pape while showing David. Jack, Sarah and I helped print the papes and after a few were printed Sarah tied the papes into stacks so they can be handed to the newsies while Jack and I continued to print the papes. It took all night but we finally finished printing them.

All the newsies met where we told them to so they could get the papes. We handed them to all the newsie till everyone had some and we then put the rest onto a wagon.

"How was you're night sis?" Spot asked as we got onto the wagon to help hand out the papes.

"Pretty busy but wes finished just in time. I just hope these papes will get the sweatshop kid to joins us." I said as the wagon started to go with some of the newsies on it.

As we made our way through 'Hattan one by one the newsies would get off to start handing out the papes.  Spot and I decided to hand them out together so once it was time to get off we grabbed a pile of papes and headed off before Jack grabbed my wrist stopping me. 

"This is goin' to work trust me" Jack said looking into my eyes.

"I know it will Jack Kelly, I trust you" I said giving him a smile as he let go of me wrist and I ran to join Spot who was ahead of me.  Spot and I handed out all of the papes to the sweatshop kids and headed back to the 'Hattan lodging house once we were done to meet up with the rest of the newsies. Once we got there we saw that most of the newsies were back including Jack. 

"Lets hope this works and all the sweatshop kids meet us tomorrow" Race said with a cigar in hand. I was honestly still a little stressed that no one would show up tomorrow so I decided to talk a walk like I always do to calm my nerves and to just think.

"Hey Spot I'm gonna go for a walk" I said as Spot looked at me with a concerned face.

"Just be back before dark" He said as I began to leave. Jack looked at me like he wanted to join me but we both knew if he did Spot would know something is up. I walked for a little while thinking about many things that were on my mind, one of those things being Jack of course. I was deciding if I should let everything Jack did go. That's when I was forcefully pushed into an alley.

"Well, Well Miss Queen of Brooklyn. Thought she wasn't going to see me again did she" A man said and once I clearly saw who he was I knew what he wanted. It was the same guy who tried to beat me up in Brooklyn before the strike.

"I guess yous want to be beaten up again huh?" I said remembering what happened last time whenever I did beat him up.

"That's were yous wrong" He said and suddenly I was grabbed by the arms by two guys who must have been hiding in the alley waiting to grab me. I couldn't move my arms because the guys were so strong but I still gave it a try to escape their grasp. Before I knew it the guy hit me in the face causing me to fall back into the guys holding me.

"This time I'm gonna hurt ya where Spot has to come and find ya" He said as he hit me again causing my vision to blur before everything went black.