Chapter 8

Avery's POV

It was time for the rally so everyone started to head to Irving Hall. Spot has made sure I haven't gotten anywhere near Jack. I just hope he won't watch me this close during the rally.

Once all the newsies from everywhere in New York were here we started. I was standing beside Spot who was beside Jack and David was on the other side of Jack. Of course David sister had to come. She was sitting at a table a little ways from the stage with Les.

"Carryin' the banner!" Jack yelled which made everyone stand and cheer.

"So we've come a long way but wes ain't done yet. Maybe it's gonna get tougher from now on." Jack continued to say.

"But thats fine we'll just get tougher with it. But also wes gotta get smart and start listenin' to my pal David." Jack said as he put his arm around David.

"Yeah" Spot and I said as we patted David.

"Who says stop soakin' the Scabs" Jack said adding on.

I can't believe it. I ain't going to stop soaking the scabs what else we suppose to do.

"What we suppose to do to the bums, kiss em?" Racetrack asked as everyone laughed

He's right, what else are we suppose to do we always soak the scabs.

"Hey look, any scab I see I soak em. Period." Spot said

"Yeah I agree" I said joining Spot.

"Yeah!" Everyone shouted.

"No! No thats what they want us to do! If we get violent its just playin' into their hands." David said stepping up.

"They'se gonna be playin' with my hands" Spot said

"This ain't what they say its what we say. Nobody ain't gonna listen to us, unless we make em." I said walking up beside Spot. 

This made everyone get rallied up and everyone started to talk all at once.

"You got no brains! We're starting to fight each other, its just what the big shots wanna see. That wes street trash, street rats with no brains! No respect for nothin' including ourselves." Jack yell quieting everyone down. 

That's one thing I love about him, that he knows what to say at the right times. He knows how to make people follow him.

As Jack took a small break from talking he looks over at me and smiles. I blush and break our gazes. I started to get more and more excited for tonight after I tell Jack to meet me tonight at the same place he asked me out on a date at. This became our spot and it will always be out spot.

"So heres how it is. If we don't act together wes nothin'. If we don't stick together wes nothin' and if wes can't trust each other, then wes nothin'." 

"Tell em Jack!" Kid Blink yells from the balcony. 

"So whats it gonna be?" Jack asks everyone in the crowd.

"Wes with you Jack" Race said

"So what do you guys say?" Jack asked me and Spot but mostly looking at me. He had that same sparkle in his eye that he had when he asked me on a date. That same sparkle I love. 

"We say that what you say is what we say." Spot said speaking for both of us. I'm glad he agreed so I could continue to see Jack.

They spit shook as everyone cheered because now the strike was getting serious. That's when Medda came out to sing and everyone went to the table to sit as the cheers got even louder around us. Jack sat beside Sarah who sat beside Spot. I sat beside Spot and David sat beside me with Les beside him. I could see Jack and Sarah from where I was sitting and Sarah would not stop flirting with him. Of course this made me angry but I couldn't show it. 

At one point while Jack was singing along they made eye contact and held it for a couple seconds which upset me even more. How could Jack do this while I was sitting right across the table from him. 

Spot got up to go get a cup of root beer and I told him to bring me some too. I took this as my chance to tell Jack. While Sarah and David were looking at Medda and not at the table I told Jack.

"Jack, meet me at our spot tonight after the rally." I whispered so only he could hear.

He nodded and Spot came back a second after he nodded. He handed me the root beer and he sat down beside me again.

After about a minute of watching Medda sing with all the newsies, Jack got up to join. He went up to Medda and started to dance and sing with her which made me laugh a little. Jack wasn't the best dancer but he still tried. 

"Oh no" I hear David say and I looked to where he was looking.

I felt my heart sink to my stomach. No, no, no this can't be happening. I couldn't believe he was here... Snyder. 

I shook Spot and pointed to Snyder. Even though Spot is mad at Jack right now, I knew he would still help Jack escape.

David got up and ran to Jack to tell him with Spot and I following. 

"Jack! Jack its Snyder!" David yelled but Jack couldn't hear him so he yelled louder.

"ITS SNYDER.. right there" David said as he pointed over to Snyder.

Jack said thanks to Medda and started to run. Right then Snyder blew his whistle and Bulls came from everywhere. This can't be happening, not when I was suppose to meet Jack tonight. We have to help him escape.

Jack, Spot and David pushed Sarah, me, and Les away from all the newsies and bulls. I looked back to make sure Medda was okay. She was getting pulled away by a couple of people as Race got hit and dragged away. She was yelling for him as she got pulled away.

"Get out of here!" Jack yelled to Sarah, Les and me.

"No I wanna help!" I yelled back.

"No Avery its to dangerous!" Spot yelled as he tried to push me out the door.

"No! I'm staying and helping and no one can stop me" I yelled. I did not want my brother to be by himself with all of these bulls plus I wanted to help Jack escape as well.

Both of them gave up and let me stay to help as Sarah and Les left. We ran as more Bulls began to show up, all of them were after Jack. We were looking for ways for Jack to escape until David showed him a way to leave. He was heading that way till they saw Snyder.

He was walking towards us till David told Jack to push him on a swing Medda used in her show. As he did he kicked Snyder which sent him tumbling back.

We told Jack to run as we stood to block Snyder from catching him. A few newsies joined us to help block. Once we knew Jack was away we continued to fight the bulls.

I lost Jack in the hectic crowd. I didn't know where he went. I also lost Spot and was only with David now.

"Spot!" I yelled trying to find him.

"Over here!" He yelled back a few feet away as he punched some Bulls. I went down from the stage to help him and ran once we got the chance. 

We ran to the entrance of the place and that's when we saw Jack getting surrounded by Bulls. One punched Jack which sent him flying back onto some bulls.

"No!" I yelled as I tried to help Jack. All the newsies came to help get the Bulls off of him by either pulling the bulls or trying to push Jack down from how the Bulls were carrying him but we couldn't.

No, no, no this can't be happening. I was suppose to meet Jack tonight. I was suppose to tell him how much I loved him. I was suppose to see how he felt and ask him about Sarah. He can't go back to the refugee. What if I never see him again? 

A/N- Sorry for the bad chapter and sorry if this book is really bad. Thank you to all who have read and tell me what you think! I'll update again soon hopefully!