But Are We A Number

Frank Iero has been in this hospital for over six years.

His biggest concern is if he's a number.

×××

"He shouldn't have lasted this long... I don't know what's wrong anymore, I'm sorry-"

"Can't you... try? Try something else, whatever it takes, I just want my baby back."

But I'm not a child.

I'm seventeen.

I'm smart.

I don't know why everyone's so worried. That's at least how they sound when I'm listening through the door, but stumbling back when I notice any sign of footsteps in the hallway.

But what's wrong?

What's always making my mom sob every meeting?

I barely get to see her, not that it affects me too much because I've learned to let go.

To just let go.

Not to stay attached because things don't end well when you're too... too dependent? You could put it that way.

But it's not bad being here; the medication is not a worry to me, although I see no point in taking it. The food is good enough. It's not costing money, is it? For me to be here?

Oh god...

She's upset because she's wasting her money on me. Why? Why would she do that?

"Frankie, I'm leaving," her voice suddenly rang through the room, shaking my core and bringing my attention to my resent thought and I spewed it out because I need it be out and I can't told important things in for very long. "I love you."

"Don't waste your money," I whined, though it was inaudible and she wasn't able to hear me. She was probably walking to the car by now, her forgotten son still not awaiting in the passanger seat.

I still can't believe she wasted her last time to say "I love you". That just... just wasn't even important. I don't have time for useless, pointless information.

I shook my head, thinking back to why I enjoy it here.

I was really quiet, mostly because I liked to listen, but it also kept me out of trouble.

I stay out of the way of everyone else.

But it's all just become a routine.

1. Wake up
2. Take medication
3. Eat
4. Nap
5. Medication
6. Free time
7. Go to bed.

I even wonder if some of them remeber I'm here. Do they even remeber my name?

It's just numbers now.

"Go fetch the kid from B57."

Was I the kid from B57?

But it's just...

B57.

And my code is 002750

They scan my tag and it all goes through numbers and scanners and the numbers built into the scanners and how much those fucking scanners have to scan to keep track of the numbers they're scanning.

See, they have to track everything you do. They take their scanner, you simply hold out your wrist and let them scan your tag on your wrist that you've been given since day one.

If you get caught not having done something, there are punishments.

But they don't even call me by name.