15) Animals

I open my eyes slowly, greeted by the light peering in through the windows.

He kept the sun there...

I realize that Andrew's still got his arms around me, but we're in a different position than before. He's spread out at the top of the bed, and I have my head on his chest, and my arm around his waist, with his arms still wrapping around my back.

"Are you awake?" I whisper, trying to look at him, but lacking the ability to bend that way. "Yeah. Are you okay?" he asks, stroking my back with his thumb. "I'm great; what kind of question is that?" I giggle, sliding up higher into his arms, and being able to see him. "Oh, I was meaning to ask you, before we got... 'carried away'... What did Chris tell you about the law?" I ask, looking up at him.

"He said that if anyone found out, they would sentence us to death. Apparently I'm going to outlive you, and it's not allowed, because last time someone blew up heaven or something. The only way to make someone magical is with marriage, and the last people didn't do that. One of them was an angel, and the other was a human. Their kids were half and half, so...our kids would be 'mutants' too..." he says. "Kids?" I stare up at him.

"Umm... That- I mean-" he face palms. "I'm- I'm saying theoretically, sorry...didn't mean to scare you..."

"N-no, you didn't..." I say shyly, smiling and resting my head in the crook of his neck. "Wait...did you say the only way to make someone magical is with marriage?" I ask. "Oh yeah... But...we're not ready for that." he says, tracing my spine with his fingers. "So...we just keep it secret until then?" I ask, "Well, yes, unless we want to die." he chuckles, holding me tighter.

"I don't wanna move... If we move, we have to hide, and keep a distance, and just lurk in the shadows..." I whine, hugging him tighter and shutting my eyes. "It's okay. We can still be together, but just not in front of anyone, and nobody can find out. Humans and magical beings can still be friends, (though it is frowned upon, but not forbidden), so we shouldn't have a problem keeping our distance for a while." he says, running his fingers through my hair.

"Ugh... What if we went somewhere else?" I suggest. "What do you mean?" he asks, tilting his head so he can see me. "I mean, go up to the surface. Where you can pretend to be a human." I suggest. "I can't be up there for more than six months at a time, without withering away eventually." he explains sadly. "Offer's still valid, you know." someone who sounds like Chris says.

What offer?

"Fuck, dude! Privacy!" Andrew shouts, pulling the covers up over us. I giggle at his frustration, as much as I try to hide it. "I've got a few things to do, so be in heaven in an few hours." he says, and then everything goes silent.

"Jeez! My whole life he's frickin' watching me!" he says, kicking the covers back off. "Hey, I used to wipe your ass when you were a baby, so shut up." Chris scoffs, making me burst into laughter, finally letting it out.

"Will you go?!" Andrew asks. looking up. "I'm going..." Chris laughs. "How do I get to heaven?" I ask, looking back up at him. "I'll take you." he says, getting up. I get off the bed and walk over to the bathroom, turning the shower on, just to have a quick one, before eating.

I wait until the water is warm, and step in, drenching my hair. I hear a door creak, and I assume Andrew went out of the room. I feel arms wrap around my waist, and I almost jump. "Hey." I laugh, pushing my wet hair out of my face. "Hey." he smiles, kissing my neck and nibbling on my ear, making me squeal.

"So what are we going to do in heaven?" I ask, smiling and putting a hand on the side of his head. "I'll tie you to the post outside and go talk to him, puppy." he teases, and I playfully whack him lightly. "You're gonna tie me up? You're more of a dog than I am. No wonder you're in hell." I stick my tongue out, laughing, and he wraps his arms around my shoulders, biting my neck playfully.

He puts a single finger on the bottom of my chin, tilting my head back and pressing his lips against mine softly. It's no problem, since I'm significantly shorter than him. He wraps his arms around my waist, and they meet in the middle, sliding down.