34) Mute

"Aww, puppy..." I stroke her now black hair with one hand, and the other wraps around her waist, holding her close. "Mikka," She looks up at me, but her eyes don't show innocence anymore. They've seen terrible things happen. There's pain, and sadness, and darkness, and helplessness... It's heartbreaking to see your other half like that.

"Did he..?" My voice trails off, not even daring to say it. She nods quickly, snapping a hand over her mouth, and holding up a disturbing amount of fingers. I bring her to my chest again, holding her tightly. That's why her hair went black, and her eyes went red. I didn't think that happens when it happened to humans, but I guess if it was a magik...

"I-I'm so sorry. It's all my fault." I say softly, on the verge of tears, with my voice cracking. We hear something blow up nearby, and she jumps, holding onto me tightly. She shakes her head to say "no", and I put a finger on the bottom of her chin, lifting her up to face me. "Why won't you talk?"

She simply stays quiet again, and mouths the words, "I can't". I let out a sigh, and pull her back to my chest. She just rests there, sobbing.

"I left Griffyn with Lily and Mike. We've been looking for you for weeks, you know. The ocean was my passed sister Aqua's realm."

She looks up at me, clearly interested, and I sit down against the brick wall, lifting her into my lap. "I had two siblings, a boy, Chris, and a girl, Aqua. We all had the same father, though we had different mothers, but we were still close. Aqua was middle, I was the youngest, and Chris was eldest. My father said, 'when I retire, it is up to you three to rule the three realms'. We divided them amongst eachother, and I got stuck in hell since nobody liked me." I pause, and she giggles quietly.

"My sister Aqua sinned, and she became a fallen angel. Our father was ruler of hell, and our mothers, heaven. Luck just seemed to favour me, as I was the only demon child, and I went on to rule hell. Eventually, Aqua became self destructive, and ended up blowing herself up somehow. We were close; closer than me and Chris, at least. You remind me of her sometimes." I smile softly, and she cracks the first faint trace of a smile I've seen since we found her. She rests her head in the crook of my neck, and wraps her arms around my chest, drifting off to sleep.

Poor baby... She must've been awake for days. I wouldn't be able to sleep either if it was next to some lunatic who wants to sleep with me all the time...

I use magic to disable the "no-magic to get in" border, and I hold Mikka in my arms, teleporting home. I pull the covers down, and lay her down on the bed gently.  She reaches a hand out and grabs my pants, cracking an eye open, and looking up at me. "I'm just going back to the fortress to deal with Reese. Stay here, okay baby?" I pull the blanket up to her shoulders, and she nods, curling into a ball. I kiss her forehead gently, and I see her smile. "I wish you'd say something," I kneel down next to her, and stroke her hair.

"I can't", she mouths. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay. It's not your fault. I'm sorry I couldn't get to you sooner. I can't imagine what he did..." I say softly, and she looks into my eyes, starting to cry again. "No, no! Don't cry, puppy..." I crawl into bed next to her, and she sobs into my chest, wrapping all her limbs around me. "I know what you must've been through, and I feel terrible that I couldn't get to you sooner, but- wait..." I stop abruptly, and gasp. "Y-you're not..?"

She shakes her head, and points to it. "You think you're not?" I ask, and she nods. I feel uneasy just at the thought. "I have to go, baby, I'll be back later. Get some sleep." I place a kiss on her forehead, and she smiles weakly, just as I teleport out.

Half the fortress is gone, but the water has all disappeared, for at least ten miles. "REESE!" I yell. They all freeze, and Reese scowls at me. "Back off, he's mine." I growl at the others, and they disappear. "You want her, Devil? Fight me." Reese shouts, and stands in front of me, with darkness around him.

I growl at him, throwing fire his way. "I'M GOING TO ENJOY FUCKING DESTROYING YOU, YOU SON OF A BITCH!"