19 | Uprising

HARRY

     Harry!”

     An impulsive, firm grip snapped me back from my trance and I found myself being drawn away from the running Creatures. Brief, but constant beeping sounds filled the main lab as Mike and I witnessed the glass doors gradually lock up in front of us. We skidded to a halt behind an extensive counter with a row full of computers, giving out sighs of reprieve as we watched the crippled soldiers from hell try to reach out for our flesh, failing miserably with their endeavor to obtain even a single tad of blood from our bodies.

     “What happened to you back there, lad? Are you alright?” Mike then broke the few moments of pause; his eyes gaped directly at mine with utmost concern as he asked about my imprudent action of standing too long outside of our new safe haven.

     “I’m sorry. I got…I got a little carried away back there. I was just surprised, that’s all,” I said in between short but rapid intakes of breath, trying to regain my composure after almost getting slain a few moments earlier.

     “Rule number three: As much as possible, focus. Focus Harry. One wrong move and we’re done for good,” he prompted once more, and this time, my mind was trying its best to jog it down to my memory.

     What was I even thinking back there? Harry, don’t be stupid right now. With the two of us exhausted after all of the things that just happened, Mike and I took our momentary seats adjacent to each other; our gaze then converged on the frightening commotion just a few meters away from us. I was grateful to the fact that the glass was able to muffle the Creatures’ appalling cries and moans, somehow minimizing the anxiety that I was feeling. The fear of perceiving the presence of these Monsters is based on all of the physiological senses, giving emphasis to the sensations of sight and hearing, and it was at least a time of relief to consider that I was not able to heed to their horrific sounds. I think I couldn’t handle the dread and pressure of hearing them once more, as well as catching a glimpse for I was just too tired to even ponder about them anymore.

     With only the powerful sounds of their clashes against the resilient glass transpiring in the room, I let my face be submerged on my cold and shaking hands. I was just exhausted, and all of my vigor and strength seemed to be drawn off my system. It was not just because of running on those looked like an endless flight of stairs in our effort to escape the assaults, but I was just really drained. Every aspect of my mind was tired. I was tired physically, emotionally, spiritually. The thought of always being subjected to the moments of being almost killed was wearing me out, and my mind was starting to think of giving up again. I couldn’t help it. Life, particularly the one I am living right now, is definitely full of ups and downs. One time, I felt like the happiest person on the planet since I finally have my best friends with me, and then all of a sudden, after encountering all of these horrifying dilemmas, I wanted to submit myself to those Creatures and let everything go. The idea of admitting defeat would always emerge, because everything else seemed to showcase itself as something not worth living for anymore. What’s going to be my fate? Am I going to be running away from them for the rest of my life? Will I still be able to survive this? What if…

     What ifs. That’s it. My whole mind was full of what ifs. I could never be sure of what life had in store for us, for me. It was just getting more and more difficult as each day would pass, thinking that my life would always be in danger. What if Mike won’t make it? What if I won’t make it? What if I won’t see Niall and Louis again? What if I won’t see Hannah again? I know that it’s best not to ask myself these questions, but what if these happen? It was quite daunting to think, yet it would be more forbidding to think of the answers to those questions. I then let my hands delve on my brown curls, and later then did I realize that I was starting to scuff them aggressively when I felt his hands stopping me from persisting it further. I was getting afraid again. The fear that I was feeling was like the sinister virus that caused all of these. Given a breeding place in my mind, it slowly eats away my spirit, and impedes me from carrying forward.