20 | Last Breath

HARRY

     “Leave me Harry, please go!”

     Hannah. No, this can’t happen. Hannah. All my mind could think of was her name. All I knew at this moment was the fact that I couldn’t let this happen. Mike had been my father after all of these times, and all I knew was that Hannah needed him. We all needed him to live. Making an immediate aim, my hands were shaking as fiddled with the gun, my eyes focused to direct it to the Creature that was insistently trying to gorge off his flesh. With all the courage that my body and mind had, my finger promptly ticked the trigger, causing a huge splash of blood to explode off to the air.

     “Mike!” I called out in panic, running back at his stagnant body lying down on the ground. Kicking off the Creature from his body, I quickly helped him out of its reach, blood smearing his face due to the gunshot that I had made.

     “Mike, are you alright? Please answer me.”

     My words came off unsteadily as my hands tried to wake him up from my lethal move. He still had his eyes closed, and I looked up to see the rest of the massive mob, sprinting crazily towards our direction. With no more choice to do, I put his arm around my shoulder, aiding him for support as I began to stagger slowly towards our car. His weight was making it quite difficult for me to hasten my pace, but my mind was set to make it there as fast as possible. It was a matter of life and death, and I was determined to take both of ourselves back home – back to our haven to tell the others of what we had discovered.

     The groans of torment were getting closer, and my heart was making its rapid fleeting beats. I was afraid once again, despite of being in more daunting experiences I had before with these Soldiers of Hell. But I knew one thing about them, and that they had no idea of what they were doing. If only they know what they’re doing, I thought to myself. This was all a product of misconception and bullshit, and Mike and I will do what it would take to get everything right from what we found.

     A screech was approaching us very fast and I turned around to make an aim, shooting the head off the incoming demon. With my choice of looking back, I knew that we would be their meal of the day, their teeth constantly gnashing in between their rotting flesh. I took more shots and fired the remaining bullets, taking four of the down but I knew that it would never be enough. Taking few more steps, we finally made it back to our vehicle, closing the doors at once upon entrance to our safety.

     Turning on the key, the car roared back to life as I hastily maneuvered the wheel. I couldn’t deny the fact that I was still at panic, but I tried to stay in control as much as I could. There was no turning back at this point, and there should be no room for mistakes. With every ounce of energy remaining in my body, my hands shifted in between gears and finally the car began to move forward. Looking back once more, the Creatures were still out there, their numbers almost twice as I had seen them from before. They were still running, and my eyes grew wide in shock to find others from the side making their hasty sprints towards us, their numbers multiplying as I continued to drive forward. Without any moment to spare, I stepped into the pedal and drove as fast as I could. Their abilities were blowing my mind – from their speed up to their aggressive movements that would always imperil any living being that made contact with them. My eyes were focused on the empty road in front of me until I saw him finally moved beside me.