22 | Souls on Fire

Song featured here: “One Friend” by Dan Seals

HANNAH

     The night continued to go on. It was beautiful. For a moment, I thought that we were safe, away from all of the things that endangered our lives. I wish that even just this exact second, time would eventually stop. I wish that everything would be okay for a while, but I knew sooner or later, we had to move on and continue to fight. Everything was a constant battle for our lives, and tonight was just our time to settle down. To let go. To heal.

     “Sometimes the world was on our side; sometimes it wasn’t fair; sometimes it gave a helping hand; sometimes we didn’t care; ‘cause when we were together; it made the dream come true; if I had only one friend left, I’d want it to be you.”

     His voice was wonderful. The quiet night was crooned by a voice of an angel. He was one of the people left in my life, and I couldn’t be more thankful for that. Losing the fight to make myself asleep, I pulled out the warm blanket around my shivering body and sat up, closing my eyes to relish his angelic voice. I let everything go for a moment. The attacks. The chases. My dad.

    “Hannah, why are you awake?”

    I opened my eyes and saw him looking at me, a smile flashed over his face. His eyes gleamed remarkably against the flames, like two globes that seemed to be holding oceans of blue.

    “You kept me awake because of your voice Niall. I can’t stop from listening,” I told him, and the flames lighted up his cheeks like blushing clouds. “Why are you still awake?”

     “Oh, sorry then. Well, it’s my shift to keep watch. You need to rest Hannah. We have a long day tomorrow,” he beamed in return as he laid down his guitar on the ground.

     “No, it’s okay. I couldn’t sleep anyway.”

     Picking up his guitar, he then stood and sat beside me, both of us just rested in our positions. I watched his fingers fondle with the strings with such grace, and I couldn’t help but be amazed with his skill. Back in the days when One Direction was at their peak, I had always loved Niall. The fans were all over him, having these endearing fantasies that they would be in the same place where I am right now. Watching him play the guitar under the stars, and having the chance to listen to him with Louis and Harry was a dream come true for me. Being a fan myself, living with them for more than a month made me feel in raptures, but the conditions we were in made it quite intricate.

     “That was a great song Niall.”

     “Thanks. The five of us used to sing that song to each other, dedicating it to ourselves. It’s sort of our favorite song as a band, recommended by Paul of course.”

     “It’s beautiful. Oh, I just remembered, your birthday’s on next week’s Friday, so…advance happy birthday Niall.”

     “Really? I didn’t know that. Thanks Hannah,” he replied as he gently patted my back. “Wow, I’ll be one year older. I wish I could make it though.”