Friends Return a Little...Closer Than Before

"I—I'm sorry Professor?" I stuttered. He quickly closed the gap between us until we were less than a foot apart. He seemed to tower over me, and I found myself incapable of breathing. I had no clue what I had done to anger him so much so abruptly.

"I asked," his voice was crisp, "what it is you want."

"I'm n—not sure what you m—mean, Professor."

"Nothing," he said snapping his head to the side and stepping away. "It was foolish of me to ask," he said in a self-reprimanding way. I realized then that I didn't understand this man at all, but I wanted to. I desperately wanted to.

"Yesterday," I started cautiously. Snape glanced at me but did not move as I continued, "you said if I wanted something to come forward about it," I started biting my lip nervously.

"Go on," he drawled with mild interest in his voice and only a hint of suspicion.

"Well," I hesitated. "I want to know you better. I want to understand you," I said honestly. I felt like I was laying some of my heart on the line, and that scared me. Slytherins don't put themselves on the line for anyone. Now it was Snape's turn to be taken aback. He looked at me in shock.

"Don't be foolish, Girl. Why would you want to know me?" he said without hesitation. His head hung slightly making his hair shadow his face. Something in his body language made me think his words were more of a blow to himself than they were to me.

"Well Sir, for one I believe there is a lot more to you than meets the eye. I don't think you are given the credit or appreciation you deserve," I told him honestly, taking half a step towards him. He didn't back up immediately like I expected.

"Don't waste your time on the likes of me," he said quietly.

"It wouldn't be a waste of time, Professor, but isn't it my time to do with as I please?" I asked with a little boldness. His eyes darted up, and there was a fire in them that hadn't been there a moment ago. I instantly regretted pushing the matter.

"My time, however, is too precious and little to be spent telling my life story to an insolent child," he snarled fiercely. I felt my face flush and tears prickled in my eyes. I clenched my jaw to bite back the tears. "If I wanted anyone to know me, I'd write a bloody autobiography," he said nastily.

I felt a couple of tears escape and slip silently down my cheeks. I went to brush them away before Snape noticed, but it was too late. He caught my wrist as I raised it to wipe one of my cheeks and tilted my face up with his other hand. Mentally I cursed my inability to keep my emotions in check.

"Why on earth are you doing that?" he asked impatiently, but his voice wasn't quite so cold now. It wasn't apologetic, but it still made me a little more at ease. I simply shook my head no, unsure what to say. He wiped the tears away with his sleeve then released me with a sigh.

"Women, I shall never understand you. The simplest thing and you start leaking," he said taking a seat on the stool I had used. I fought the urge to smile at the fact that he was actually talking to me about how he felt; whether he realized it or not. His choice of words struck me as funny.

"I'm sorry, Professor," I apologized with my normal happiness in my voice. It was an effort not to sound upset still, but I did it anyway. He waved one hand at me dismissively.

"Just don't do it again," he said without humor. This time I couldn't help but smile. Thankfully he was looking down at the floor and couldn't see my face through his curtain of hair. I laughed on the inside. He had seriously just told me not to cry again if he explodes on me. What was with this preposterous man?

"Merry Christmas Professor Snape," I said to change the subject. I was surprised I hadn't already told him, but then again, with him it's easy to lose your train of thought. He looked up at me with sadness on his face.

"Merry Christmas," he replied. Surprisingly there was no malice in his voice or even bitterness. He just sounded a bit—broken.

A week later all of the students returned. I was waiting in the Common Room for Allistor and Lynx to come in. I held their gifts behind my back. They walked in together and saw me instantly. We all broke out in huge grins.

They came over to me quickly as many other students trickled in. I pulled their gifts from behind my back. They each reached into their pockets and pulled out a couple of tiny wrapped gifts. It was obvious they had been shrunk by a spell. I rolled my eyes at how much alike Allistor and Lynx were.

They cast 'engorgio' on the gifts and they grew to their normal size. We handed the gifts to the person they were for, and at the exact same time we tore into the packages. For some reason we never spoke until after the gifts were given.

I received a dainty silver charm of a centaur from Lynx along with a muggle novel. She knew I loved those, and the charm went with a bracelet she had given me our first year. I had given her one as well.

Each year for Christmas we always got each other a new charm for the bracelet that was significant to that year. The centaur was easy to understand. We had snuck into the Forbidden Forest alone a couple of weeks after school started this year and witnessed a band of centaur archers hunting. It was terrifying but exhilarating.

From Allistor I received a hand-crafted black onyx wolf statue with real emeralds for eyes. It stood roughly a foot tall and was supposed to ward off bad dreams. The wolf was howling, and it touched my heart. Wolves are my favorite animals. I knew the statue had to have been expensive, but Allistor's family is rich.

Lynx opened my gift first, and it was a small charm in the shape of a star and bow. She smiled at me realizing we had both gotten each other charms for the event with the centaurs. I couldn't find a centaur charm, but I knew she'd understand with the star and bow. Centaurs are star-gazers after all. Along with the charm I got her the scarlet scarf she had put in wanting a couple of weeks back. We hugged each other happily.

Then she opened Allistor's present, he looked nervous, and her jaw dropped. She lifted out the thin white-gold bracelet and I saw the small diamond streams that dangled from it all the way around. I gasped. It was absolutely beautiful.

Allistor took it from her shocked hands and carefully fastened it around her wrist. It fit perfectly. He didn't drop her hand once it was on though. Instead, he held it warmly and looked her in the eyes. My eyes prickled with happy tears as I figured out what he was doing.

"I was hoping that, since today is January first, that we could start this year off together, as a couple," he said with a crooked smile. Lynx beamed and threw her arms around his neck. I laughed richly, and he hugged her to him with all his might. I was so happy for them. They really would make a great couple.

~This is a shorter chapter, sorry, but there wasn't a way for me to make it longer. I have over fifty pages prewritten so I will upload a longer chapter tomorrow :D I love you!~