Night of the Wolf

"What on earth is the matter?" Severus asked in a voice like velvet. It warmed me through and through. I looked up at him pitifully to see he was holding a few envelopes. He had just been heading to the owlery and happened upon me by accident.

"Nothing," I muttered looking back at the ground. Severus grunted at my lie and continued up the owlery stairs without another word. For once I was glad he didn't press. I'd laid enough of my heart bare for him, and he usually just stepped on it. I didn't need his brand of comfort right now. I just needed to be alone.

It wasn't long before I heard his footsteps coming back down. I wasn't crying now, but I still sat with my knees drawn to my chest and my head rested on them. He stopped in front of me once again. I thought maybe I had spoken too soon about him not pressing until he spoke.

"Tonight is the full moon. The enhanced wolfsbane potion is complete, and Dumbledore has a werewolf coming to test it. He has requested I invite you to witness...Perhaps it will take your mind off whatever isn't upsetting you," he said sarcastically with his arms crossed over his chest. I considered glaring but wasn't in the mood for bantering with him.

"What time?" I asked sounding very depressed. My voice was rough from crying.

"We will meet near Hagrid's hut in an hour and a half; just before sunset. From there we will go down to the edge of the Forbidden Forest. If the potion doesn't work there will be a werewolf loose," he paused, "We'd rather him race into the forest than towards the castle," he finished in explanation. My mouth went oddly dry at the part about the Forbidden Forest, but I nodded to say I'd be there. I didn't feel like speaking.

He swept away without pause. I fought down a giggle as a funny thought crossed my mind. He really does fit the description of the vampires in muggle novels.

I pushed to my feet so I could retrieve my favorite cloak, the one from Christmas, from the dorm I share with Lynx. She was just leaving as I was going in.

"Hey," she stopped me with a concerned look. "You've been crying." I gave her my best guilty smile. My eyes still felt heavy.

"Just a bit, but I'm better now. Severus told me we're testing the potion from Christmas today; on a live werewolf!" I was excited about meeting a real werewolf. I've seen centaurs and mermaids, dragons and pixies, but I have never met a werewolf.

"Is that safe?" Lynx asked skeptically. I could tell she was a bit excited as well, but she was also nervous for me. I shrugged.

"It's hard to say, but I don't think I can feel unsafe with Severus there," I told her. She rolled her eyes playfully.

"I know the feeling all too well," she said with a slightly lopsided smile. Her eyes glazed over as she thought about Allistor. I shook my head and pushed past her into the room. Snatching my cloak from my bed and headed outside. I still had an hour to kill and had finished my homework already so I figured I'd take a walk until time to go. I kept my eye on my watch so I knew I wouldn't be late. It was actually a clock charm on the bracelet Lynx had given me all those years ago because I had been late almost everywhere that year. It still brought a smile to my face as I remembered.

As the sun started to become deep pink over the trees I made my way to Hagrid's hut. When I was still several yards away I saw Severus's tall form standing awkwardly behind Hagrid's house. Hagrid was standing several feet from him conversing with a thin man with light brown hair.

The strange man was average height which means he was dwarfed by Hagrid's massive height, and Severus was a couple of inches taller as well. He looked ill. I eyed the man curiously, trying not to dwell on the fact that I was still the shortest person present.