Courtyard Duelling

The next morning classes were set to resume. I woke up a little late and had to rush to get ready in time. I made it though just as the clock struck time for class to begin. The day was going well, but I was a bit nervous about potions fourth hour. With all the strange thoughts and feelings I had been having I was concerned about seeing the Potions Master again.

During lunch I sat absent mindedly picking at my food. Allistor and Lynx sat across from me holding hands. They were so happy. It made me smile, but I had potions immediately following lunch so all I could think about was what would happen when I saw Snape again. One time Lynx asked me if I was okay. Allistor eyed me worriedly. I told them I was fine, but I could tell they didn't believe me.

When lunch was over I gathered my books and headed to the dungeons. I was one of the firsts to class along with a couple of my housemates. I took my seat on the first row and sat waiting. Professor Snape was nowhere to be seen, but that wasn't uncommon. He often stormed into the classroom a few minutes after time to start.

I got out my quill and ink while I waited. Slowly the rest of the class trickled in. As if directly on cue, two minutes after class should have started the door slammed open, and all of our books flipped quickly to page 127.

Professor Snape strode to the front of the class and whirled around theatrically. My eyes were instantly glued to him. He moved so fluidly. His hair was unkempt and hung in his face, and I had the urge to brush it into an orderly manner. I shook my head so I could focus on what he was saying which earned a disapproving look from him. Thankfully he didn't call me out.

After lecturing for about twenty minutes he gave us our assignment. We were to work individually on producing a draught powerful enough to put the drinker into a coma. It was advanced work but nothing I couldn't handle.

I went over to the supply table to get the necessary things. I was so distracted thinking about Professor Snape as I walked back to my seat that I ran straight into him. I dropped my supplies and would have fallen if he hadn't of caught me...again. This seemed to be happening far too often.

He steadied me quickly with a hand on my upper arm. His grip was very strong, and I could tell he was putting out effort not to grab too tightly and hurt me. He glowered at me darkly.

"I'm so sorry Professor!" I apologized quickly. The room had gone silent as everyone turned to stare. A few Gryffindors were smirking at the disgusted look on Snape's face. I figured they were just happy Snape was more than likely to explode on a Slytherin student for a change. I could have died from embarrassment.

"Detention, for your carelessness. Seven o'clock tonight. Clean this up," he said curtly and sat down huffily at his desk. An old stained rag and a bottle of cleaning solution levitated to me. I took them with a puff and started cleaning my mess. A few students sniggered as they passed me on their way to or from the supply table.

Half an hour later Snape started making his rounds to check on everyone's progress. He was in a pretty foul mood after my accident so he was being brutal with his snarky remarks.

I had finished the potion along with nearly half the class. Some students were still struggling, and one student's had nearly blown up. Snape passed down the front row and examined our potions critically. When he reached mine he sniffed it and tasted a single drop. His eyes instantly drooped. I noticed he hadn't tasted most of the other potions; otherwise he'd probably be asleep on the floor.

"Good color," he murmured. "It smells right too, and the taste is normal. Not bad." He moved on to the next person on my row. I sighed in relief. What he'd told me was the closest thing to a compliment he had given out yet. He made his way around the room with lots of criticism. He reached one Gryffindor boy's and examined it.