Free-Falling

I ran quickly to my dorm and grabbed my Nimbus. It was a top of the line broom, and I loved it. I went to the courtyard and mounted it expertly. I kicked off and was sent soaring into the air at speeds many people didn't dare go. I, however, loved going fast. I glided over the Black Lake and let my fingertips skim the top of the water.

I pulled straight up and soared until I was surrounded by clouds, then I let myself and my broom free-fall. We tumbled end over end as the ground approached. When there was only about ten feet left I pulled up hard on the end of my broom and my feet zipped a foot above the ground as I banked right to avoid the Whomping Willow tree.

I steered towards the Forbidden Forest but didn't go very far over it because the air seemed to grow colder and the light grew dimmer the farther I went.

I turned back towards the lake. I was lost in my own sweet bliss of adrenaline. I was pulled out of my reverie shortly by the sound of a man's voice shouting. I flew a little lower and scoured the ground with my eyes to find its source.

Finally, I saw Professor Snape standing by a tree near the Black Lake. He was trying to wave me down. I took a deep breath and landed a couple of yards from him, hopping off my broom before I came to a real stop. I caught it in my hand and held it vertically as I came closer to the Potions Master.

"What in Merlin's name do you think you are doing?" he demanded. His face was contorted in anger. I stared at him in confusion.

"I was just flying, Sir," I said.

"I was walking through the courtyard when I saw you plummeting out of the sky. I ran to see if you were alright, but halfway here I saw you zip off and nearly run straight into the Whomping Willow tree!" he spat the words. His voice was raised a little though he never really shouts. My face softened, and I couldn't help but laugh at his concern.

"Professor, I knew exactly what I was doing. I love the feeling of free-falling through clouds, and I knew I wasn't going to hit the tree," I explained lightly. His face turned red in rage.

"Do you know how dangerous that is?" he bellowed. "You could easily lose control of your broom and plummet to your death! I do not want to have to clean up your remains, Miss Fellstone," he said, his tone becoming more placid towards the end but with a dark undertone.

"I'm sorry to worry you Professor," I said with an amused smile. He glared at me, clenching and unclenching his jaw as he fought to keep his composure.

"Nice try, but I am not so tired today, and I will not allow you to coax me into saying things I don't mean," he said crossing his arms over his chest.

"The problem with that, Professor, is that both of us know that you really do mean it," I said matter-of-factly. He sneered incredulously.

"Don't be daft. Do you really think I care for you, Miss Fellstone?" he said snidely. His mood was foul. I scowled at him.

"You can run, Professor, but you can't hide," I challenged daringly. I gave him a look that was easy to read. He stared me down hard for a solid minute before I turned and headed to the castle with my broom in hand. My heart pounded in my chest at how crazy I was being, but I could not show him fear.

"Do not walk away from me until I have dismissed you," he barked at me. I turned back and knew I was about to get myself in trouble.

"Then walk with me, Professor," I said kindly over my shoulder without stopping. Snape's expression was furious.

"You insolent girl!" I heard angry footsteps behind me before his hand snatched my arm roughly. It hurt this time, but I still had to fight the urge to smirk. He had come to me. I still got my way. "Do not think that just because I may or may not have an ill-conceived feeling or two for you that you can do as you please. Detention again tonight; don't be late," he whispered harshly before storming away like a thunder cloud.

I watched him until he entered the castle. I felt as though I should have been upset with him being so rude to me, but that was just him. Not to mention he had just, more or less, admitted he had feelings for me. I unconsciously rubbed my arm as I stared off in a dazed stupor. I felt a thrill start to build inside me at the notion that the steel-coated heart of Severus Snape might have a soft spot for me, but it was soon interrupted.

"That bloody Git," I heard spat from my left. I looked over to see Teague approaching with a thick book in his left hand. I smiled at him faintly, still not realizing I was rubbing my arm. "Sorry, I was just reading near the forest, and I saw what happened between you and him."

"Yeah, he thought I was being reckless, the way I was riding my broom," I said with a small frown. Teague didn't act like he had heard anything that was said between Snape and I so I pushed my concern aside.

"Well I thought it was brilliant," he said to make me feel better. "Are you alright?" he asked gently touching my arm where I was rubbing it. I jumped and put my hand down.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I laughed softly. He didn't look convinced.

"Look, I know Snape comes off harsh, but Dumbledore says that he's not that bad. I trust Dumbledore. To me Snape just seems annoyed at the world so he lashes out like a little kid." Most of that was made up, but I didn't want to give any indication that I liked Snape...or loved him. That word scared me to no end and I really did not want to know why it had even came to mind.

"Yeah, he desperately needs to get laid," Teague muttered. His eyes were dark and pensive. It was a good look on him I had to admit. I laughed hard at his comment and felt my face flush.

"It's hard to think of Snape as ever having been with a woman," I admitted truthfully. I was sure he had at his age, but I just couldn't picture that. I mean, I wanted to go there with him someday, but I couldn't see him with other women. The thought—almost—made me jealous.

"I know, who would want to sleep with that miserable Death Eater?" Teague said with venom. It made my throat constrict a bit. If he had actually been a Death Eater...what would happen when Voldemort returned?

"Are you alright?" Teague asked concerned. I nodded vigorously.

"Yeah, I just realized I didn't finish my homework for my next class. It starts in about ten minutes!" I pretended to be distraught by this. Truthfully I hadn't had any homework in charms last night.

"Oh, well I can let you go if you'd like," he offered politely. I was truly beginning to love these Ravenclaws. They were not living up to their snobby reputation at all.

"Thanks," I smiled. "I really should go." With that I waved and left. He waved after me. I passed McGonagall in the hall on my way to put my broom in my dorm. She nodded with her lips pursed like she'd eaten a lemon but didn't speak. She was almost as prejudice against Slytherins as Snape was against Gryffindors, especially if you played quidditch.