The Goodbye

Morning came faster than Beast Boy had thought possible.

He was woken up by Smith who was already starting to pack him some supplies.

"Now, I'm not packing too much. Just the necessities. You don't want to have too much cause it'll weight you down and slow your progress. On the other hand, you don't wanna have too less cause you may not make it." Smith explained as he continued to bustle around the house packing supplies into a book bag.

"I'm also packing on for Sunshine. Hers won't be able to contain a lot so most of supplies are going to be in your pack. You should be able to get through, comfortably, with what you have at least until you get out of the desert. Once you get out it'll be important to gather more food and water since it'll be another day or so before you reach a city. Be careful though. The city is very dangerous. Just go in and get what you need. Don't stay over night!" Smith warned.

"Why?" asked Beast Boy.

"Just don't." Smith ordered.

A little hand tugged on Beast Boys leg and he turned around to see Sunshine.

"Hey what's up?" he asked her.

"Mister," She said in a sad voice, "Are you leaving?"

Beast Boy's ears dropped as he looked as the little girl with tears in her eyes.

"Yes Sunshine. Mr. Beast Boy here has to get going." Smith told her.

"B-But... I-I'll miss y-you." She began to cry.

Beast Boy felt his heart begin to break.

"It'll be ok Sunshine." Smith said, "Because you get to go with him."

Sunshines eyes suddenly dried up as a huge smile lit her face.

"YAY!" She cheered

"We're gonna have lots of fun, right mister?" she asked Beast Boy happly.

"Maybe." Beast Boy replied.

"YAY!" Sunshine jumped in the air and began to skip around as excitement radiated from her body.

She ran over to Smith and beamed up at him, "Where's your stuff Sun man?"

Smith sighed an got down on one knee so he was eye level with the little girl.

"Sunshine...I have to stay here." he told her.

Sunshines face dropped as she looked at Smith, "What do you mean?" she asked sadly.

Smith shook his head and put a hand on her tiny shoulder. "Sunshine," he told her, "I'm not going with you."

"Oh." she said as she looked down at the ground. Her hair slowly slid down and covered her face.

"Sunshine." Smith pushed her hair out of her face and made her look at him. "It'll be ok." he promised her.

Sunshine nodded her head saddly.

Smith sighed and opened his arms, "Come here." he told her.

Sunshine took one small step towards Smith before jumping into his arms and crying.

"Shhh... it's ok. it's ok." He told her while stroking her hair.

"B-But I...I'll m-miss you." she sobbed out.

"I know, i know." Smith replied, "but you know what?"

"What?" Sunshine asked sniffing with tear stained cheeks.

"You'll be with Beast Boy here and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun." He told her as he wiped away her tears with his thumb. "Ok. Can you be a big girls and take care of him for me?"