The Cost

(Back to Beast Boy)

Beast Boy and Sunshine were making their way to Tretor

As the traveled, the ground moved from a hilly forest to dropping off into sheer cliffs.

As the traveled through the constant changing terrain, the heat of the afternoon started to bear down heavily on the two. So with a slightly disappointed heart, Beast Boy decided to call it a break.

With a hidden smile, Sunshine dropped her bag and plopped down where she was at with Beast Boy who joined her.

They were sitting up on a cliff that was within viewing distance of the main road.

Ever since Sunshine told him about meeting Raven, he had become even more excited and eager to go. Although, despite his new found energy, he still had Sunshine to worry about. He could go on forever until he found Raven, but Sunshine's tiny body wouldn't survive that kind of push.

Without realizing it, Beast Boy had become fond of the the little girl, and care about her more than he let on.

Despite this, his current thoughts were on Raven. He was questioning himself over and over on why she would just disappear again without seeing him.

"Hey Beast Boy?"

Beast Boy was pulled out of his trance as Sunshine pulled his sleeve.

"Ya?" he replied.

"Who are they?" Sunshine pointed down towards the road where a bunch of wagons were passing by.

"Hmm.." Beast Boy peered over the edge and watched the group travel in the same direction as them. They all seemed to be human and well stocked on supplies.

As Beast Boy watched them, the road slowly started to bend until they disappeared from sight.

Beast Boy looked back at Sunshine and suddenly lit up like a light bulb.

"Wait a second!" He exclaimed.

Sunshine tilted her head in response.

"We could travel with them." Beast Boy suggested.

"But aren't we suppose to stay off the road?" she asked back.

Beast Boy shook his head, "No, we were suppose to stay away from the road. But it doesn't matter because we are already close." He said proud that he thought of that.

Sunshine sweat dropped.

"Beast Boy, I don't think-" She started to say, but Beast Boy had already picked her up and transformed into a large bird.

He quickly flew to the bottom and then just as fast as he had transformed, he re-transformed and dropped Sunshine off his back.

"Come on Sunshine!" Beast Boy called as he took off running.

"Mi- Beast Boy wait!" Sunshine called out trying to catch up with her tiny legs.

Beast Boy disappeared around the edge leaving Sunshine behind him, but as he turned around the corner, he froze in horror.

5 seconds ago, a small traveling party had past through here. Now, what was left of it was slowly burning to the ground as ashes and smoke rose into the air.

"Wha-What happened?" Beast Boy stared wide eyed at the mass destruction that laid before him.

As he looked around, his eyes furrowed in maddening rage as he watched the orange flames consumed what was the remains of human corpses.

A familiar rage filled him as his eyes dilated and he became filled with the raging madness and sorrow from seeing the surrounding dead.

A small shaking hand slowly grabbed a hold of him and held on to him tightly.