Chapter 10: Loss for the Millers

Two months had passed since the ALDC had lost to the Candy Apples and after the competition, Sophia had gotten word that her grandfather had a heart attack and left the team, even though Sophia left, the team redeemed themselves at Starpower in Detroit by getting a clean sweep and they kept winning and winning most of their competitions. The day was December 9th and the holiday decorations were up and ready in the Chicagoland area because Christmas was around the corner, however, this day was somber because at the Vet's office, Abby, Cameron, Gianna and Vivi were in one of the rooms because they had gotten the somber news that Broadway Baby, the Millers' dog was dying as Cameron was emotional.

"Cameron, it's going to be ok." Abby choked up as she was whispering in her son's ear as she, him, Gianna and Vivi looked at the frail body of Broadway Baby, the dog which is a bichon frise that Abby has had since 1996 and at the time, Cameron was four going on five and was like a sister to him before Vivi was even born and even when Abby adopted Vivi at birth, he loved them both the same.

But the dog was lying on the vet's table and didn't have the strength to move because she had kidney failure and it was so advanced, they knew that her time was running out as Cameron, who had tears falling down his face because he knew that Broadway Baby wasn't going to be there physically with him, his mother, his grandmother, his sister and everyone else that had known them.

"Mom, how is it going to be ok?!" Cameron asked his mother, with sadness in his voice as he looked at the dog that looked at them. "Broadway Baby is dying, Mom. She is not going to get better."

"We all knew that the day was coming, but one thing is for sure, she'll always be watching over us as day comes and night falls." Gianna added, her own tears falling as she was going to miss Broadway Baby.

"Your dog will not feel any pain, she'll go right to sleep."

"Sleep well, Baby." Abby said, choking on her words as the emotional dance teacher stroked Baby's fur. "You kept us sane and made everything ok when things didn't go right."

"We love you." Vivi sobbed, giving the dog a kiss on the top of her head. "You'll always be in our hearts."

"You've brought joy int our hearts and we'll miss you so much." Gianna stated as she rubbed Baby's ears, then it was Cameron's turn as the emotional young man walked slowly to the vet's table.

"So long, Baby. We love you and we'll never, ever forget you and say hello to grandpa for us." Cameron said, sobs escaping his throat and stroked her fur an in response, the dog let out a labored whine as she looked at them, which made the hearts of Cameron, Abby, Gianna and Vivi break more.

'We're ready." Abby told the vet, who pulled out a needle and he found a vein on Baby's foreleg. He then pressed the plunger down as Baby looked at them and they looked at her, she was then feeling no pain and she found what was left of her strength to wag her tail and with each second passing, the breathing of the Baby was growing less and less labored and finally, she took that last breath as she had made the transition from the natural world to a different world with no suffering or pain.

Abby, Cameron, Vivi and Gianna had looked at each other sadly, as they started to realize what they had done. The first one to realize it was Vivi, who, threw her arms around her mother, burying her face into her shirt and started crying. Abby held her daughter as she started to cry too.

Cameron was looking shellshocked as he was looking at the lifeless dog lying at the table, then the dam broke inside of him and he broke down sobbing as he reached out and tighty hugged Gianna, who returned the hug and she was crying too.

"I just can't believe Broadway Baby is gone." Cameron sobbed.

Gianna felt bad for her friend, it broke her heart to see him like this because Cameron was usually strong, laid-back and tough, but now he was distraught and despite the loss, she and him were feeling electricity from their hug.