alpha

CALAMITY
alpha.

CALAMITYalpha

01.
(   the return   )

ミ☆

LOOKING OUT AT the sign that bore the name of a town that had brought her nothing but pain and sorrow, Delilah's stomach churned and she wanted more than anything to tell the taxi driver to turn around and take her back to the airport. But then she imagined what Kasey would say - facing your fear is the first step to overcoming it. If only it was that simple.

Dozens of trees dotted the outskirts of the streets, the sun shone across the river - sending fragments of light into the atmosphere; and despite the dread she was feeling, Delilah couldn't deny that this place had once been her home. So it was with that mindset that she got out of the car, after handing the driver the money she owed, bringing with her the small black suitcase which contained her small collection of belongings. Her feet hit the irregular flagstones and the damp air reached her nose. She took a deep breath and a shaky step forwards, her worn converse crunching against the brown leaves strewn across the uneven path.

The old gate creaked when she pushed it open, a sound that echoed around the eerily silent street. Delilah looked back for a second, a quick glance over her shoulder; and she could've sworn she saw the blinds of the bedroom in the house opposite parted slightly, two nosy eyes peeping through. They quickly snapped shut and Delilah sighed, making her way down the familiar driveway that separated two equal squares of freshly cut grass and an array of brightly coloured flowers.

The house looked the same as always, crisp red paint and the number painted clearly in white. The living room curtains were drawn, the old fashioned netting pressed against the spotless glass. She reached a hand out to grab the silver lion head knocker - but before she could, the door swung open and she was greeted with a gust of warm air and a hazy glow coming from the rooms beyond.

Delilah barely had chance to open her mouth before she was ushered out of the harsh Autumn air and into the warmth of the house - strong arms placed on her shoulders as she was guided into the living room. There she finally turned around and let go of her grip on the suitcase, her knuckles white from holding it so firmly, and for the first time in however long it had been - she let herself be enveloped by loving arms - encased protectively by a strong body. She couldn't help but hug back, her small frame swamped by the large one of her welcomer.

"Hello uncle Hal," she smiled into the firm chest.

"Delilah," a sharp tone pierced the embrace. Delilah stepped back and gave her uncle a weak smile that he returned.

"Hello Alice," Delilah replied. The woman stepped fully into the room giving Delilah a look of almost disbelief, as if she couldn't quite grasp the idea that she was here - right in her own house. Hal chose that moment to leave, indifferent to Delilah's silent pleas for him to take her with him. Instead she could do nothing as Alice stalked closer and closer until she was only a step away.