iota

CALAMITY
iota.

CALAMITYiota

09.
( a good deed )

ミ☆

AFTER RETURNING TO the house, Delilah went instantly to bed, despite the clock reading only ten minutes past eight by the time she eventually crawled under the duvet. Her headache had subsided - for now - and she fell asleep, hoping like she did every night that the bad dreams wouldn't follow.

But like every night, they did.

She stood atop a small hill overlooking the river. She was in a white hospital gown, barefoot, hair tossed about as the wind ripped trough it. Across the water a figure became visible, a boy of her age, swimming near the rocks on the other side. He came closer, surging forwards through the waves till he almost reached the bank.

Suddenly the clouds darkened and an almighty crash sounded through the mist. A storm was brewing, and by the looks of the waves beginning to form it was going to be a bad one.

She saw the boy notice the weather too, watched as he desperately began clawing at the bank to escape. But the waves pushed him back, further and further until he was right in the middle of the river - struggling to stay upright as the water hit at him from every angle. Then, through the rain, his eyes met hers and he cried out, one word.

"Help!" She willed her feet to move, to rush down to the bank and jump in to save him, but they would not budge - it was as if some magical force was keeping them firmly in place. "Help me, please!" his voice... she knew his voice. But then she was turning away, away from the river, away from the drowning boy whose words followed her as she left... left him to die. "You said you'd never leave! You promised!"

"I'm sorry Juggy."

"Delilah! Wake up!" She shot up, ending the desperate cry, gasping for air, to feel Betty's steady arms on her shoulders, staring worriedly back at her. "It's alright, it was just a nightmare." she pulled her in for a hug, despite Delilah's sweat drenched frame, and held her close.

"I-I'm sorry I woke you up," Delilah stammered after a few minutes. She felt hot tears on her face and suddenly felt ashamed for dragging Betty from her peaceful sleep.

"Shh, don't apologise," she smiled and turned away to hide her yawn. "Do you need me to get you anything?"

"A glass of water would be nice," she replied weakly. Betty left and then returned with a glass in hand, which Delilah took gratefully.