eta

CALAMITY
eta.

CALAMITYeta

07.
( unsteady )

ミ☆

DELILAH SLIPPED UNNOTICED through the hallways of Thornhill, stopping when she got to the large back door that lead to the gardens. Closing the door behind her, she set off down the cobbled path that wound around a forest of dark green trees and numerous unique plantations. But she had little time to marvel at the scenery, as she spotted a figure sitting on a bench amongst the foliage.

Delilah moved forwards slowly, as if she were approaching a wild animal, stopping and placing a hand gingerly on their shaking shoulders. They looked up immediately, removing their head from their hands. "Cheryl..." Delilah spoke softly. Suddenly she felt a tug on her hand and was pulled down onto the bench as Cheryl embraced her in a hug. She immediately began rubbing circles with her palm on Cheryl's back in an attempt to stop the sobs coming from the heartbroken girl.

After a few minutes Cheryl broke away and looked down at the grass in front of her. "I-I'm sorry," she sniffed as she wiped the last few tears from her cheeks.

"You don't have to apologise," Delilah shushed her. "feeling upset is not a crime, especially now."

"But I'm not just upset," Cheryl spoke out between sniffs. "It's so much more than that. I-I feel like a part of me has disappeared, a part that I am powerless - useless without! Jason was my everything... and now he's just gone. If I'd have known he was going to die, of course I would've stopped him. But he was adamant about leaving, from escaping this wretched town! I felt like it was my duty as his sister to help him go, hoping one day he'd return. But now he's never coming back." To Delilah's surprise Cheryl refrained from breaking down again, but it was only a matter of time before she remembered what she had said the day before.

This moment of peace between the two wouldn't last forever; Delilah admitted that with a heavy heart as she said "It's not your fault Cheryl."

She didn't want to risk saying anything that would be taken the wrong way so she stood up ready to leave but was surprised when Cheryl stopped her. "Don't go... please," the request came as a shock, and if it were not for the sadness in Cheryl's eyes, Delilah would've thought that she'd been joking. "I need a friend right now," she said once Delilah hesitantly sat back down. "And you're the only one I have left." Delilah frowned. She knew Cheryl was having a hard time, but that didn't really excuse the awful things she'd said. Delilah was just thinking of a nice way to put that when Cheryl continued. "I know I've not been the nicest person to you since you got back," understatement of the year, Delilah thought to herself. "but the truth is I miss you Del, things have changed so much and I don't enjoy being queen of Riverdale as much as I thought I would. I don't know how you did it."