rho

CALAMITY
rho

CALAMITYrho

17.
( drunk words, sober thoughts )

HOW DID EVERYTHING get to this point? There they sat, six teenagers with tears on their cheeks and cracks in their hearts, clinging on to each other like lifelines - like they too would suffer a fate similar to Jason's if they let go. The air was rife with tension, shock and heartache.

How did it get to this point?

Here they were, six teenagers; old enough to be wasted at some party out of town, young enough that they shouldn't be worrying about a murder of all things. But they weren't teenagers anymore, not really. Their innocence had died the moment one of their own was killed in cold blood, their life drained away along with his when they saw the foul man commit the crime.

No one should have to suffer that.

Yet here they were.

"W-we need to take this to the Sheriff," Jughead whispered, breaking the silence. And it was as if those words set a fire alight inside the others.

"I should call Cheryl," Betty said, fumbling for her phone. Thankfully Cheryl picked up almost immediately, and Betty explained their findings to the redhead on the other end of the line. Then she added, "You need to get out of the house, now!" Hopefully that was enough to make Cheryl see sense and act on what Betty had told her. That Clifford had killed Jason, and that she might be next.

They leapt off the couch, drying their tears, steadying their heartbeats, and ran out of Archie's garage at full speed, Betty with the hard drive in hand.

"Wait!" Betty yelled, "I have a better idea."

"What is it B?" Veronica asked urgently. "We need to hurry."

"The Sheriff isn't going to believe a group of kids - we need someone to give this to him who he'll trust."

"And who exactly did you have in mind?"

"My mom."

So it was Alice who stormed into Sheriff Keller's office, waving the hard drive at the man whilst declaring with a voice like steel. "You need to see this."

ミ☆ミ

In the next few hours the town went into uproar as police cars sped to Thornhill to arrest the murderer once and for all, and it looked like Jason was going to finally get justice.