lambda

CALAMITY
lambda.

CALAMITYlambda

11.
(   home truths   )

ミ☆

"SO, WHAT DO we know so far?" The usual group sat at a booth in Pop's as they pondered the question that Delilah posed.

"Jason left to go with Polly on the morning of the Fourth of July. Cheryl was supposed to be the last person who saw him, but he was shot a week later and found dead in the river," Jughead started.

"Someone trashed my dad's office, taking all the files he had on the investigation," Kevin added.

"The car which Polly and Jason were supposed to escape in was set on fire before the Sheriff could extract any new evidence," Betty said.

"And I think somehow the Blossom's are involved," Archie added. He'd previously explained how a dinner at Thornhill (a favour for Cheryl) had lead him to discover the real reason Polly chose to stay with the Blossoms instead of the Coopers. She was acting as the inside woman - scouring the house for clues that could possibly link Jason's death with his family. Polly's theory had worked it's way into the minds of them all - and Delilah was beginning to wonder if her old best friend was perhaps somehow involved with Jason's murder.

Suddenly the door to the diner opened and in stepped Veronica. She hurried over to the booth and slid into the seat besides Archie, a flush to her cheeks.

"What happened to your necklace?" Betty frowned, immediately spotting the absence of Veronica's usual trademark jewelry from her neck.

"It's gone," Veronica said bitterly. "And I'm done. My dad is a fraud and a liar and I'm sick of covering for him. Ethel's dad is in the hospital because of what my dad put him through. And countless other people have been effected by Hiram Lodge's selfish ploys. So I'm done, and I want in on your investigation. Whatever it takes." Veronica spoke fast and almost undetectable, a noted coldness to her voice as she admitted to her friend's what she'd wanted to say out loud for weeks.

Delilah carefully explained everything they knew, and Veronica drunk it all in with wide eyes. After Delilah had finished, Veronica spoke, eager to voice her opinion on the matter. "I definitely think my dad has something to do with it."

"What?" Betty gaped. She looked at Delilah who shrugged, then urged Veronica to explain.

"Think about it. He hired Jughead's dad to trash Fred's site because he found out about my mom and Fred's affair," Jughead squirmed slightly in his place between Kevin and Betty. It was unkown to the rest of them if they had made up, but judging by the way Jughead avoided Archie's gaze at the mention of their fathers, things were still uneasy between them. "Maybe my dad got FP to do other things as well..." They all heard the implication in Veronica's words, and Jughead's expression grew stormy.