XVII

Without Luck

Sitting on Facebook in the morning takes my mind of the looming trouble about to happen. Today is Tuesday, and since we somehow ended up getting a snow day at Pacifico Voltures, its the day I have to avoid all the boys. Except Dallas, who knows whats happening, and will help protect me from the famous guys. John, I guess I can talk to him, but not for too long. 

"Hey, hun." I turn to look at my dad, and a scowl covers my face. I bite my cheek and force my cheek muscles into a smile.

"Hi dad! How was your night?" He pours himself some coffee and yawns. I watch, careful so that he doesn't turn around and see my boring holes into his back. Unless he can feel them. Luckily, mom appears in the room and my smile comes naturally.

"Hey, mom. How was your night?" I ask, remembering how my dad didn't answer my question before.

"Oh, wonderful. I had the best time sleeping in my bed...alone." I grin at moms mumble as she passes me. I'm glad shes not taking the possibility of my dad cheating on her too seriously. She's being chill.

"So, Vee, did you want to go to a dinner with me tonight. I have to tell you something." Dad asks with a grin. My eyes narrow in on his slightly crooked teeth and scan over them for some sign he's hiding something.

"Oh, sure. I have no plans. I get off work at five. Get me or don't. Come on America, let's go." I stand up and dump the remainder of my coffee in the sink. I look at my dad and see him rubbing his neck. Hes clueless! 

"Bye dad." I lean up and kiss his cheek. He nods his head and raises an eyebrow. 

"Was it something I said?" He asks. I look at him with pain in my expression, not only because I can only imagine what he's going to go through soon, or because Im hurt that he may be cheating on mom. Him and my mom were like puzzle pieces. He was a doctor, mom was a nurse of some sort. Their names were like states. They both have the same hobbies. They also both love the Titanic (dad even cries). Even though the Titanic was based off a real story, it's fake. There was no Jack, or Rose. Movie producers and directors just put them in it to make it more...sad? No, not the right word. Interesting. Yeah.

"I don't know dad. That's for you to figure out." He rolls his eyes and sips his coffee as I pull on my PINK  jacket. For me, the outfit Im wearing today is pretty crappy. Also mitch matched. Im wearing Nike sweatpants, and a black PINK sweatshirt. I have on knee high socks underneath my sweatpants, which are for warmth, and some Uggs. My hair is pulled into a messy bun, and Im only wearing concealer and mascara. 

Mom sings along to a song as I get in the already warm car. She looks up and smiles, then asks if Im ready. I nod and she pulls out slowly, this part of the earth still dark from the lack of sun. Suddenly, my favorite song from a long time ago comes on. 

"I wanna see you when I wake up wake up wake up."

"'Cause you look good without make up make up make up."

"Ain't nothin' on you phony phony phony."

"You're sexy and you know it know it know it."

"Jesse!" Mom and I both scream and burst out the lyrics to "Makeup". I love Jesse. I went to his concert like six million times and one time he picked the girl in front of me to sing to. I was so mad that I was quiet for the whole concert after. He could've picked me. But that was about ten years ago. When I was seven. 

Mom pulls up to school and I spot Dallas leaning against the school wall on his phone. 

"Hey Dal." I say as I walk up to him. He looks up and nods then goes back to his phone. "Whatcha doing?" He glances at me quickly before looking back down.