XVIII

Old Friends to Models

"The cute Swensons guy keeps looking at us," Beth points out, and looks to her phone. John is five minutes late, along with Jen and Jax. We were supposed to meet here at Swensons then all go shopping for Christmas at the mall. Jax, John and Jen were supposed to show up in Jen's Mercedes. But they are late. And Beth is getting chills knowing her new boyfriend is late. She's so overeating. Well, I mean, she has only had one boyfriend in her life, but still. Its five minutes. 

To be honest, I don't know why we had a snow day Monday because it's now almost 90ºF  out and nobody's doing anything but laying around their house or having a surprise cookout. Not Beth, Jax, Jen, John and me, no, we are going to the mall to shop for gifts. I can flush my money down the drain. Bye bye.

"Oh really?" I ask, looking around. Im free now. Free from boys. I mean, I always was, well, not entirely. I was dating Blake, but whatever. My point is, Im free from boys. But, I guess now that Im going shopping with two couples that makes me...the fifth wheel. Huh. I need someone else with me. "Do you mind if I call Dallas?"

Beth stops texting and looks up. "Dallas. Like, brown hair football Dallas?"

"Yeah..." I say and hold up my brown colored hair for some reason. Beth smirks and nods.

"Sure."

"Okay." I grab Beths phone and type in Dallas number I somehow memorized. That's probably from my dad who has a photogenic memory. Oh, speaking of that. It turns out the whole reason dad didnt come home was because he was up all night at work, earning extra money. For mom and dad's anniversary he's taking her to Australia, her favorite continent. When he revealed it to my mom at dinner a couple of days ago, she jumped up and hugged him, secretly sending me a grin of relief as her face appeared over his shoulder. 

"Hello?" Dallas's voice fills the line and I jump up from my seat in surprise. I guess I was too busy remembering that relief filled night. I will admit, I was a little mad to figure out I wasn't going too. I love Australian boys. But then mom said that Mrs. Shade said I could stay at their house. For a week. So a week sleepover, yay!

"Oh, hey Dallas. I was wondering what your doing?"

"Um, throwing a football at my little brother." 

"You have a brother?" I ask, and slide fingers through my hair. Beth is playing with her nails and I do spot the cute Swensons guy scribbling down on his note pad. I stare at him, wondering what he is writing while Dallas speaks about how annoying his brother is. Something about the guy reminds me of someone.He has dark brown hair and hazel eyes, I think. I scrunch my eyebrows and shake it off. But when his eyes cast up and he notices me, I get it. 

Its Laceys ex.

What the hell? He was in NY! 

But

he 

moved

to

Cali.

Im so dumb, oh my God.

"Hey, Jamie!" I yell, rolling down the window. He smirks and runs over to me.

"I was wondering when you would notice me, little America." He pats my hair then drags his fingers down it. "I like the do. You look hotter than before." My cheeks heat and I look at Beth. She's looking at Jamie with a shocked face, and I cant blame her. We were underestimating him. Jamie grew to be calor. Im pretty sure thats hot in spanish. Or, it could mean the literal meaning of hot, like this weather today. I don't know. Whatever. I speak french. Jamie just got super hot.