XIX

The Christmas Call

On Christmas morning I sit on the couch with my pajamas creating warmth around my legs. Everyone just finished unwrapping gifts, and the relief is seen through the air. Its everyone's winter break finally, and my mom knows Im not going to NY at all. She smiled in relief and told me she was happy I would spend the first Christmas here in California with her and dad.

They leave for Australia soon, and my dad said he couldn't let me go because him and mom had plans for two. I don't know if he means it literally, or if thats an excuse for something else. Either way I just rolled my eyes.

I look at all my new gifts smiling at it all. My parents went overboard. I haven't got this many presents since I was in elementary school. I got clothes, make up, gift card, and even a lego set of the Titanic. I don't know how dad thought I would like the legos, but whatever. He probably saw something Titanic-ey and got it. I said thank you though, and Im actually pretty excited to start it. 

I walk to put the presents in my room, grabbing my new lace bra and panties mom got me. I guess she heard me talking to Beth about how I had no good lace bras and underwear. I also grab my new makeup and a V-neck black shirt. Light washed jeans also make their way into my hands and I run over to the shower while my parents talk about something.

The plan is to shower, then make my way over to Mrs. Shades house where everyone is celebrating Christmas. Beth, Jen, John, Dallas, and I even invited Jamie. He was a little bit hesitant, but I made him come. I believe Caiden is going to be there also. Jax, Kyle, and West are celebrating in Cassina. But after, I think Jax is going to come over Beths, and after him and Jen are going to celebrate their own way. I mean, thats what Beth told me.

The showers cool water helps me settle down and I plop in the middle of the bathtub. Water runs down my body in rivers then washes away down the drain. Most likely I'll never see the same drop again. Or I will, but I wont know. I close my eyes and just sit back. I lay my head against the back of the tub and sigh. I haven't gotten that well of sleep lately. All my dreams are haunted by Kyle or West. And Im not 100% sure, but I think Im in love with West and Kyle. If anything, me not seeing them everyday made me feel like I needed them more. And that makes me worried about how much their connections to me have grown. I think I made a mistake pushing them away, but they'll get over it. They strong boys, they can handle a little heartbreak.

Suddenly, my phone rings and makes me jump. I hit my knee on the side of the tub and my elbow slides down the tub, making my back go flat against the cool metal. I groan and sit back up, figuring whoever it is can wait. Im enjoying this moment of when I can wash my past away. 

My phone rings again, and I open my eyes. I look at the shower curtain as if looking at my phone that is sitting on the sinks side, making the marble vibrate all the way down to the floor. All through my shower, my phone rings, until finally I get out and answer it when Im dry enough and my hair is wrapped up.

"Hello?"

"Mare? Is that you?" My mouth goes dry, and it feels as though every wet spot on my body leaves. The foggy mirror hides my reflection, but Im pretty sure I look like a gaping fish. My eyes water without meaning to and I choke out some random words.

"Yeah. Its me."

"Oh...thank you for picking up. I just wanted to say Merry Christmas, and I hope to see you soon." West's voice whispers through the phone. His hurt voice makes me want to crush my phone and chuck is at the wall. I did this to him. Ive been so selfish, I didnt even think of their feeling when I left. After all, they do love me. And I left them over a stupid thing. Some girls would be honored to have two hot guys fight over her.