you underestimate me

something to believe in - young the giant

"don't you notice when evils due to enemies are headed towards those we love?" - antigone

Achilles really thought he had it under control - really. He'd go into school, leaving Patroclus at his house to sleep, and approach Hector. It was simple. It was effective.

It wasn't what he did.

What he actually did was throw a punch at Hector after seeing him in the main hallway, throwing him against the nearest wall. It was just like every other school fight - kids gathered around while they took out their phones, Achilles had taken to drawing blood, and Hector was cussing out his mind.

"Do it again - do it again, I dare you! You lay a finger on him again and I'll kill you and rip your liver out!" Achilles had turned full-on animal, clenching his jaw as some teacher yanked him back, leaving Hector to spit blood out on the ground. "Don't you ever hurt anyone I care about like that again - hurt me all you want - but not them."

Hector looked up at Achilles, wiping his mouth as a teacher grabbed his arm. "Let the games begin then."

- - -

"He hurt him, what was I supposed to do? Wait for him to do it again?" Achilles spat, sitting in a chair across his mother. He didn't like fighting with her, but he wasn't going to let her convince him that fighting Hector wasn't a good idea.

"You could've just talked to him - I mean was Pat really worth - "

"Don't start that. It could've been anyone - I just, listen, I just wasn't going to let him beat someone up and feel like he got the upper hand," Achilles crossed his arms. "I don't wanna talk about this anymore."

"Don't be like that," his mother started, but Achilles had already gotten up.

"I'll be back later maybe."

And with that he went upstairs, grabbed Patroclus, and got in the car.

"Where are we going?" Pat asked, watching Achilles grip the steering wheel.

"I don't really know. I'm just tired."

Patroclus looked over at the other boy. "You don't have to look after me like this, really, am I worth this?"

"Dude, yes. C'mon. I'm not going to let Hector sit this out and think he's the hot shot."

"I'm not worth sacrificing yourself, though." Patroclus looked at Achilles' face, watching the other boy look at him as well.

"It's a hell of a lot better than watching you be sacrificed because of me," he leaned in closer, eventually allowing their lips to touch for a moment, "trust me."

"Don't wanna see you get hurt," Patroclus had turned to a whisper, staying just as close to Achilles' face.

"We're both gonna be okay. Promise. Now let's go get Chinese food and make fun of the freshmen boys at the park."

- - -

So the school became a battle ground that had basically split into two sides: Achilles' and Hector's. Students were even sure that teachers had taken sides. It was school wide and nobody could walk the halls without looks being thrown.

It was the golden boy against the rebel son. Achilles walked with Odysseus and Patroclus pretty much everywhere, and Hector was backed up by his posse and occasionally Paris trailing behind (because, face it, he still had the whole
Helen thing to deal with.)

"It's really not that cold," Patroclus insisted, trying to push Achilles away. Achilles pouted, leaning back in the old library chair as Patroclus laughed, putting books on the shelves. "Don't make that face."

"It's chilly and I don't want you to get sick! Is that so wrong?" Achilles protested, laying his hoodie in his lap.

"You just want to see me in your track hoodie you narcissistic shit."

Achilles shrugged. "Is that so bad?"

"Whatever, hand it over," Patroclus s said, looking away from a book about global domination and grabbing the red hoodie, pulling it over his head. "This color is ridiculous."

"Oh shut up, you baby."

"Look who's preaching to the choir," Pat snorted, raising his eyebrows at Achilles.

"Details, details. You look hot though, so..."

"Stop it!" Patroclus said, rolling his book cart to the next row, trying to hide his blush. "I gotta go to the English rooms to deliver books, so you stay here and make sure nobody starts making out - don't suggest that - I'll be back in a few," Patroclus said, before Achilles could protest to walk with him.

Patroclus rolled his eyes as he left the library, walking through the empty halls. He was almost to the first class when he felt something his the back of his foot.

He brushed it off, it was probably some gum wrapper that a kid has tossed aside last class transition. But then it happened again, and right as he went to turn, he was met by something hitting his face at huge impact, knocking him back.

He tried getting up, but someone has pushed him to the ground, unable to see who it was due to his hair in his face and the quickness of it all. He heard multiple footsteps around him, and places the person as soon as they spoke.

"Thought you'd get away with that shit, didn't you, Achilles?" Hector growled, kneeing Pat's back before turning him on it. Patroclus was greeted with another fist in the face, grunting as he felt his nose begin to bleed. "Try me again and you'll - oh shit."

Hector pulled away, allowing Patroclus to push his hair away and grip his nose.
He looked straight at Hector, breathing heavily. Patroclus launched himself at the other boy, pinning him to the ground and making his posse run off. He placed a hand on Hector's chest, kneeing him in the chest and spitting blood out of his mouth, opening his mouth to say something.

"You're so fucked."

___________________________
a/n : promise i'm not dead, life has just not let me chill and my inspo for my stories has been -150% but here's a lil something something to tide y'all over!! hope you're doing well and staying hydrated!!

- ash