parked car

" sometimes words are not enough. " - lemony snicket
moon river - frank ocean

"Are you scared?" Patroclus whispered, tucking a strand of hair behind Achilles' ear. They were sitting in Pat's car, parked at the beach, watching as the tide slowly rolled in. Achilles hesitated before turning back to the boy in the driver's seat.

"Yeah."

"Are you too scared to tell anyone else that?"

"Yeah."

Achilles looked down at his hands, tapping his fingers together. He'd always been the golden boy - track star, the one who (mostly) everyone loved, the one who had his future not totally figured out but that was okay. Because he was the golden boy. And now he had deranged teenage boys after him and now the boy he loved. Pat was right, if they got him, it would kill Achilles. His eyes began to well up with tears. "Pat... Pat I can't do this."

He felt a hand on his neck, turning toward the touch.

"Yes you can. I know you," Patroclus used his thumb to wipe away the tears that Achilles had started to mass produce. He was full on crying now, and didn't know how to stop. He just wanted another school year with dumb jokes and the annual senior prank. He didn't want this. "This sucks, okay? I know. I'm scared too. But if they find that out then we become easy targets. You have to be strong okay?"

Achilles leaned into the touch, eventually leaning his head down onto Pat's shoulder. "I'm so sick of always being strong! I wanna get high school over with and go to college and grow up and be free."

Patroclus reached his hand around to put it into Achilles' hair. He kissed the top of his boyfriend's head, feeling Achilles cry on his shoulder. The boy was broken. It was like there was a whole war being fought around them and it wasn't stopping, only growing more and more chaotic. Helen wouldn't make up her damn mind, Briseis wasn't being a help, and Hector had gone full on insane. Pat's parents wouldn't listen to him, and Achilles knew his mom would flip out and call the police (which wasn't what he needed.)

"I thought senior year was gonna be great," Achilles said, wiping his eyes and pulling his head up to look at Pat. "You know, professing my love for you and all that. Like it'd be some fuckin' daydream and everyone lives happily every after and I don't have to think about you going to college."

Pat gave him a small smile."It can still be like that. Just now we have an insane gang in the mix." He let out a laugh, realizing the ridiculous statement that he had just said. "You still have me."

"That's why I'm worried - if they take you. Hurt you. They've done it twice already."

"One of those times they thought I was you."

"Still," Achilles shoved Pat's arm. "You know what I mean, asshole."

"Watch your language," Pat smiled, wiping the last tear off of the blond boy's face. "You kiss your mother with that mouth?"

"No, but I kiss you with it," Achilles smirked, leaning into Patroclus. Their lips touched, and Achilles could feel Patroclus smile at his stupid joke. This was how he wanted the year to go - softly. Not rushed but not slow. The perfect timing like how summer drifts into fall, but not too fast that it makes you hate fall. Achilles brought his hand up to Pat's neck, pulling him in deeper. Pat pulled away for a second.

"We got this."

Achilles looked at the brunette boy. "I'm scared I don't."

"We do. Even if it kills the both of us."

_____________________________________
a/n: life is busy. the future is scary. i haven't forgotten about ya'll, please stick with me. enjoy this sickly sweet and kinda sad filler bbies.