blood, sweat, and tears

bad decisions - bastille

" here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. there is no why. "

- kurt vonnegut

"Welcome to Hell," Dion said to Achilles as he walked into the room that served the multipurpose of chemistry and detention. Achilles looked down at Dion, who had constructed multiple tiny origami cats out of ripped out notebook paper.

"Why are you in here?" Achilles asked, his hand touching one of the paper cats.

Dion snatched it away from Achilles, "I spiked the punch and turns out snitches exist at this school."

Achilles nodded as if he thought Dion was completely innocent, making his way over to where Patroclus was sat, textbook open and pages of homework around the desk. He sat next to his boyfriend, making Pat look up and smile.

"Oh hey, welcome to Hell."

"So I've been told," Achilles motioned to the boy at the front of the classroom, "I'm sorry we ended up here."

"Not ideal but at least Hector isn't — Jesus Christ," Pat stopped his sentence short as a familiar face walked into the room behind Coach Ares, who was holding a grocery bag full of protein bars and a phone charger. Hector locked eyes with Achilles as he strode in, cocky smirk on his face, sitting down next to Dion in the front. Achilles rolled his eyes while looking at Pat.

"He's in here because he busted us and got caught with a vape pen, he's not badass," Achilles whispered, making Ares look up from the desk.

"Hey hot shot! This is detention, not study hall, be quiet," the coach barked, sitting down behind the desk and plugging in the charger. He really thought he had power in this position, even though it really came down to getting paid a minuscule amount more for doing the job no other teacher wanted and the fact that his affair partner had agreed to "help with tutoring" today while her husband went home. He looked intimidating with his overly worked out body and the slight tattoo poking out from his shirt sleeve, but ultimately his only power was making kids run extra laps in P.E.

Achilles rolled his eyes again and slumped down in his chair, looking over at Pat, who had gone back to doing homework. He felt shitty about making Pat go through detention, which wasn't ever something the brunette had been in. In addition, Pat's parents doubled down after the homecoming incident, not allowing him to go over to Achilles' house until further notice, which resulted in very quiet Skype calls over the weekend and secret phone calls. Achilles had really missed him over the weekend, which seemed silly at first, until he realized how much time the other boy took up of his company. Good taken up time.

A few other kids walked into the room before Ares closed the door off, and the countdown from an hour and a half kicked off, with two kids falling asleep and being awoken multiple times with Ares and a ruler, Hector furiously typing up an essay, Dion making more origami, and Patroclus getting though multiple subjects of homework. Meanwhile Achilles sat the entire time, arms crossed, staring between the ceiling and white board.

He knew the whole deal with Paris and Helen was a stupid high school drama scheme, but the amount of bitterness that had accumulated because of it was alarming. Hector was becoming more erratic for the hell of it, bumping into Achilles in the hallways and bathroom when he could, staring him down. His friends followed suit, mainly trying to mess with Patroclus, because Hector had seemed to back off of him once Achilles threatened him in front of everybody. But between the lingering kids in the parking lot after track practice that revved their engines when Achilles loaded his car and the slowly increasing divide between the school's "sides", Achilles wasn't sure if it was still for show or for real.