Against All Odds

Don't give up on anything, even though it feels like you're against all odds.

December 1, 2056

1532 HOURS

in the middle of an unknown forest

Hey. This is still Jack.

I woke up in the middle of the forest with the blood on my arm all dried up. I took my handkerchief and tried to clean my bloody arm. Bullseye. I saw a crystal-clear pond from a distance. Quickly, I went near it and soaked my handkerchief then cleaned the blood off my arm. Hurts a lot. Have to stop the infection. But how?

All I have is my backpack, with my cellphone, my journal, a pistol and a few loaded magazines. Shit. It really fucking hurts. I wanted to call Miguel but there was no signal.

I have to go find some food or some supplies.

I stood up from the tree stump I was sitting on and started walking around the forest, hopefully searching for a way out of it. Hope this end's well.

All I could see were trees, and vines, and... Wait... what's that?!?!

Three infected were approaching me just a small distance away. My heart started beating faster. I tried running but the two caught up to me. Before I could get bit again, I hit the other with my backpack and kicked him in the stomach, making him bump onto a tree. The other two began inching towards me. One leaped right in front of me. I dodged to the side, making him fall to his ally. They were bought down to the forest floor. There were still groaning and alive. I gave it a full-force stomp on the head, and stopped at them repeatedly.

Phew. That was a relief.

I continued to wander, searching for the way out. The sun's glare hit my eyes through the branches of a tree. I gave the branches a little push and I was out.

The sun's light gave me a heart-warming welcome as I left the shade of the forest. The air is so hot.

While I was along the stoney road, I saw a group of Resistance soldiers from the Team Eta. Five of them had M4A1 assault rifles equipped with ACOG sights. Looks like they're guarding the place. But from what? They can help me. Hope so.

"Hey, need some help here."

They quickly pointed their M4A1 assault rifles at me and then gave me a bad gaze.

Then the one with the beret said, "Captain Griffin, you're coming with us. We already know you're infected. Just come with us so we get done with this the easy way."

My heart began to beat faster and sweat dripped down my face. It all happened all too fast. I thought I was safe. Didn't say a thing. I just stared at them for a few seconds and scanned the place to look for any distractions.

"You have five seconds, sir." said the guard while their guns were pointed at me. Target locked.

Promptly, I scuffed my feet on the sandy road causing the dust to scatter around and blind them for a few seconds. There started firing at me, missing with every shot. I ducked and grabbed some sand then threw it in their faces. They were blinded for a few seconds, so I shoved them out of the way, pushed them far while the sand covered their eyes. Afterwards, I ran quickly to the house next to us and then climbed to the roof. But they ran after me and began to fire.

They ran after me as I dashed through the rooftops and dodged the bullets they fired towards me. Oh no. I quickly opened my bag and then took my M1911 pistol and started firing at them, but not intending to kill them.

It came to the point that I had to stop them because they followed me this far through the streets. I looked back and then fired at the other guy's leg. He fell down and tripped the guy at his back.