Chapter 9 - Past

"Revenge may be wicked, but it's natural."  ~William Makepeace Thackeray

Victoria's POV

"Alright so what else could you say about this quote?" I questioned Mia, flicking the pen around in my hands, my hands on the book below my eyes.

Instead of an answer, which was what I was expecting, Mia shut her book, capturing my attention. Her eyes wavered around the room for a brief while before they landed on mine.

"Do you mind if we take a short break?" she asked me after a minute of hesitation. I nodded, shutting the book too, placing it gently down on the table.

"What's wrong Mia?" her eyes didn't quite meet mine as her hands fiddled with the hem of her sweater.

"I'm sorry, I just haven't been able to concentrate on things much lately."

"Why's that?"

"I'm not exactly supposed to tell you, but you're about the only person I trust and can talk to right now, so I need you to promise not to tell anyone. Can I count on you?" I nodded eagerly, my snake feeling alive inside on me.

"Go on" I urged, slowly watching her take a deep breath before her eyes met mine once again.

"I...I think...I think I'm gay." She finally said.

I blinked. I blinked again. And I waited. I waited for the main bit, but after a few seconds of silence, I realised that was it. I shook my head slightly and looked back at her

"What's the problem with that?"I asked her, watching her eyes widen slightly at my question.

"So you don't have a problem with that?"

"Mia, why would I have a problem with that? Besides, what's wrong with being gay?" I suggested.

"Oh thank god!" She exclaimed, throwing herself at me. I stumbled back a little at her mini hug attack, taken absolutely aback by her actions.

"Mia, I don't understand, what's the issue there? Why are you so worried?" she parted from the hug, sitting with her legs crossed.

"I'm a royal Freya, I'm expected to be smart and perfect. Unfortunately being gay doesn't fit into the perfect category" her head lowered as she looked at her hands.

"Oh honey, no one is perfect. But being gay is not something you should be afraid of, it's not something you control. No one should ever judge you for being who you are, and if they do, then they just aren't worth your time love" she chuckled, looking back at me, her eyes containing a hint of tears.

"So basically my parents and my entire family and well, everyone who respects us is not worth my time then."

"Hey, firstly, I don't think your entire family will be against you, at least not by the looks of it. I'm sure your brother or James or Kate will support you, so don't you worry about it. If not you have me, but if by any chance no one is willing to accept the factors that make you you, then they aren't worth it, even if that adds up to be everyone you know. Never ever give up on yourself, remember that." I explained, earning a small smile from her.

"You really think that?" I nodded, shooting her my best smile.

For the first time since my revenge had started, I truly felt bad. I felt terrible that I was going to be the one to end everyone around her, including herself, yet I had meant every word I had said to her. No one should ever give up on oneself. Perhaps I would kill her first, so she wouldn't have to witness the death of those around her. Or maybe I would choose another path. Who knew?