Us

"I'm well aware it sounds bananas," I heard Eugene say to Tara from behind me.

I sighed. I was sure all of us were getting really tired of hearing Eugene blabber.

Glenn and I had been walking at the front of the group with everyone trailing behind us for a while and I swear, Glenn had barely blinked. But I could tell he appreciated having me next to him.

"But looking at the fossil record," Eugene continued. "Knowing what I know about this infection, you cannot say for certain it isn't what killed off the dinosaurs. Now do I believe that's what happened? No. But it's enjoyable as hell to think about an undead ankylosaur going after a diplodocus. Right there's a preorder."

I sighed and started cleaning my knife as we continued to walk.

"When did y'all meet?" I asked Glenn. "You and your wife."

He sighed and for a moment I thought he wasn't going to respond.

"Around a year ago," he mumbled. "On her family's farm. She hated me at first."

I sighed. "We'll find her," I promised. He nodded and I put my hand on his arm for a second.

Eugene continued to talk but I tuned it out, a skill I had become quite good at since we found him.

•••

We had settled down for the night. As I laid down, I immediately felt a root sticking into my back. I sighed uncomfortably but ignored it.

I opened my eyes and saw my dad going and sitting next to Tara while she kept watch.

I knew I wasn't about to sleep so I listened in.

"Go to sleep," she told him. "I got this."

He sighed. "No offense, but I'm not leaving Eugene's life in your hands."

"You came with us because you wanted help," she pointed out.

"Your support not point," he replied.

I knew they were gonna keep arguing so I sighed and turned away from them. My mom, Rosita, Eugene, and I slept next to each other while Glenn slept away from us on the railroad tracks.

I couldn't help feeling really bad for him. I could tell his wife was his entire life.

I wasn't listening to my dad and Tara anymore, but I could tell they had  stopped arguing and were just talking.

Finally, I was able to fall asleep, tightly gripping my knife.

•••

The next day, we continued to walk to the bus.

"Rubs me the wrong way is all," Eugene spoke up. I internally groaned. I was about to duct tape his mouth shut.

"I'm an even-Steven type gentleman," he continued. "You help me find the supplies, we share the battery and whatever juice we scare up, minimal as it may be."

I had no idea what he was talking about but I rolled my eyes and ignored it.

Glenn and I were no longer walking in front of everyone. We simply walked beside them.

My mom and I shared a smiled and she rubbed my arm a little.

I started to notice Glenn and Tara slow down next to me. I looked over at Glenn to see what was up. His eyes were wide.

I followed his gaze to see a sign. It looked like a map to some sort of safe place.

On it was written: