Service

3 days later

The day had started like the two previous one. I forced myself to get up, forced myself to go to gate watch with Carl, go home and cry about my dad and Glenn, question whether I should have gone with my mom and Maggie, and repeat.

When I was with Carl, he was really comforting and always asking if I was okay (a question I never really had an answer for). But I could tell he was angry. Really angry. I was fearful of the day when he would finally explode.

That morning, I was making my way to gate watch when I saw Eugene, Rosita, and Spencer gathered at the gate.

I quickly ran over.

"What's going on?" I asked Rosita as I came to a stop next to her.

Keeping her eyes on the gates, she answered. "He's here."

As if on cue, the shadow of Negan slowly appeared on the gate. I heard him start whistling as he banged on the gate with Lucille.

"Little pig, little pig," he called. "Let me in."

Rosita looked at me. "Bree, maybe you should-"

"No," I cut her off forcefully, keeping my eyes on the gate. "I'm fine."

Spencer went over and opened the screen to the gate and there he was. Seeing him made visions of my dad's and Glenn's bodies cut through my mind and I winced.

Negan looked at Spencer. "Well?"

"Who are you?" Spencer asked.

Negan chuckled. "Oh, you better be joking. Negan, Lucille. I know I had to make a pretty strong first impression."

I turned as I saw Rick walking over. He wordlessly walked over to the gate.

Negan refocused his attention on Rick. "Well, hello there." Rick didn't respond and Negan lost his smile. "Do not make me have to ask."

Rick sighed. "You said a week. You're early." He opened the gate.

Negan's smile came back. "I missed you." He turned to me. "Hey there, sweetie. Bree Ford. We did what you asked and didn't forget it. You're the redhead's daughter."

I glared at him. "The least you could do is call the man that you murdered by his actual name." I made sure to put every ounce of poison into my words.

He raised his eyebrows and put his hands up in surrender. "Alright, alright. Abraham." He turned to the Saviors he brought with him. "Let's get started. Big day."

My eyes scanned the crowd until they landed on Daryl. He was in rags and he looked awful.

Negan leaned closer to Rick. "Hey, Rick, you see that, what I just did? That is some service! I mean, we almost get turned away at the gate." He pointed at Spencer. "Who is that guy anyway? Do I get mad? Do I throw a fit? Do I bash some ginger's dome in?" That caused me to inhale sharply and dig my fingernails into the palm of my hand. "Nope." He did a little bow. "Service."

He walked farther in and gave Lucille to Rick. "Hold this."

I backed away, not being able to be near that thing.