Four Walls and a Roof

We all waited in the church as my mom, Uncle Tyreese, and Rick went out to look for Bob. It had been two hours and he still hadn't come back.

I sat on the floor, staring at my hands.

I saw my dad come and sit next to me out of the corner of my eye.

"You okay, darlin'?" he asked. Darlin' was his nickname for me.

I took a moment before quietly answering. "I saw Bob walk out...and I didn't do anything."

He sighed. "You didn't know he was gonna be gone this long."

"I should've at least asked where he was going. I should've assumed he would get himself into trouble."

He put a hand on my shoulder. "Don't blame yourself, Bree. This isn't your fault."

I took a deep breath and softly nodded. I looked over and saw Carl standing by the window, staring out of it.

Looking back at my dad, he smiled and nodded. "Go on."

I got up and walked over, following his gaze.

Finally, I shifted my focus to him. "What is it?"

He sighed. "You'll burn for this. What could that even mean?"

I put my hand on his arm. "Carl, you need to stop beating yourself up about that. Your dad is gonna take care of it. I know he is."

He sighed again and still didn't look at me.

I waited a moment before slowly taking his hand and squeezing it softly.

Slowly, he looked down at our hands then up at me.

Finally, he gently pulled me into a hug.

We had never hugged before so I was slightly surprised but soon I sighed and put my arms lightly around him.

"It'll be okay," I promised.

He nodded softly.

•••

I was sitting with Maggie when the doors opened and my mom, uncle Tyreese, and Rick walked in after their search for Bob.

We silently turned to them.

My mom saw Gabriel playing with something.

"Stop," she said forcefully, walking up to him. "What are you doing?"

When he didn't answer, she got even closer to him.

"What are you doing?" she repeated. "This is all connected. You show up, we're being watched,
and now three of us are gone." She was referring to Bob, Daryl, and Carol.

"Sasha," my dad said quietly. "Calm down."

"I..." Gabriel stuttered. "I don't...I don't have anything to do with this."

Maggie and I exchanged a glance, not really believing him.

Our attention snapped back to my mom when we heard the sound of her pulling out a knife.

We all got to our feet.

"Mom, don't!" I yelled. "Please!"

"Sasha, put it away," uncle Tyreese insisted.

"Who's out there?" my mom asked Gabriel, seeming more desperate.

"I don't have anything to do with this," he repeated, putting his hands up in surrender.

"Where are our people?" she asked immediately, almost cutting him off.