Self Help part 2

After hours of walking, when night had fallen, we finally were able to get into an old library. My dad entered first to make sure no walkers or people were in there already.

"Let's go," he finally called and we all entered.

I was limping at this point. 4 hours of constantly stretching my wound wasn't doing a whole lot of good.

Everyone starting working on barricading the doors, making a fire, and getting water. I wanted to help, but Maggie made me sit down and get some rest.

After a bit, Rosita sewed my dad's hand back up and Maggie came over and sat next to me.

"How's your side?" she asked, smiling sweetly.

I smiled back softly. "Doing better, I think. Thanks for helping me earlier."

"Of course, honey," she replied and patted my knee. "What's wrong? Looks like something's on your mind."

I sighed and stared at the fire. "How long do you think it'll be? Before we're back with everyone, I mean?"

She waited a moment before exhaling. I felt her lean against me a little in comfort.

"I'm sure it won't be too long," she claimed, though she sounded like she was trying to convince herself.

I sighed and rested my head on her shoulder. "Maggie?"

"Hm?"

I took a deep breath. "Who's Beth?"

I felt her stiffen a little before relaxing. She rested her head on mine.

"She's my little sister," she mumbled. "Haven't seen her in almost 2 months."

"Do you think she's okay?" I asked worriedly.

Maggie sighed. "I don't know. All I can do is hope right now."

I nodded, hoping with her.

•••

The next morning, the blaring sun forced me to wake up and I yawned, pushing myself into a sitting position and rubbing my eyes.

I looked over and saw my dad talking to Rosita. Probably arguing about something.

I stood up and walked over to them with Maggie, Tara, and Eugene.

"This town isn't in bad shape," Maggie pointed out. "This store wasn't even touched. We could make a good base here. Spend one last day doing a sweep for supplies?"

My dad looked at me. He didn't need to ask. He knew I agreed with Maggie.

"We'll sweep as we go," Rosita said begrudgingly as Glenn walked in. "We've done it since Houston, we're not stopping now."

"You heard the lady," my dad agreed. "We're taking it North."

"We tapped out the toilet," Tara stepped in. "Broad River is five miles west. At the least, we stock up there before we find wheels."

"We've got a vehicle," my dad argued, standing up and walking over to the door. "And it just so happens it's got 500 gallons of water in it."

I walked over to see what he was talking about. There was a fire truck sticking out of a building across the street.

I chuckled in disbelief. "Dad, do you even know how to drive that thing?"

He smiled. "Your mother taught me a thing or two back in the day."

He walked out and I gave the others a helpless look before following him.

We all walked over to the truck to examine it.