Hearts Still Beating Part 3

The next morning, I woke up in Carl's bed (and yes we still had our clothes on, you pervs). Since it was late last night, Carl said he didn't want me walking home in the dark.

I looked over to see that Carl was still asleep. The sight put a smile on my face.

I leaned over and kissed his cheek before getting out of bed and heading downstairs.

I was making breakfast in the kitchen when Carl came down.

He looked at me and smiled. "Good morning."

"Morning," I replied.

He came over and kissed me, making me chuckle.

I pulled away and handed him a plate. "I made breakfast."

He took the plate. "Thanks."

I got my own and we went over and sat in the living room.

"What are we doing today?" I asked.

He thought for a second. "I think we're going to the Hilltop today to see Maggie."

Hearing Maggie's name made me tense up.

Carl noticed. "I'm sure she's okay," he assured. "Your mom would have come back by now if she wasn't."

I nodded, exhaling.

We turned as Rick and Michonne came downstairs. They're eyes widened a little when they saw us. Then, Rick put his hand out to Michonne. "Hand it over."

Michonne groaned and handed him a pack of tic-tacs.

Carl looked back and forth between them. "Did you...bet on us?"

He shrugged. "Why not? Come on, guys, we're going."

We nodded and followed them out the door.

•••

As the four of us stood at Hilltop's gate with Rosita, Daryl, and Tara, I started to get nervous again. I took a shaky breath.

Carl looked at me before reaching over and taking my hand, giving it a squeeze.

I gave him a grateful look as the gate opened.

Maggie was right there waiting for us, making me breathe a sigh of relief.

We walked in and Rick immediately went over and hugged her.

I looked over as I saw Daryl slowly walk over with Jesus.

Oh, thank god he was okay.

Rick walked over to him and I let go of Carl's hand to walk over to Maggie.

We hugged tightly.

"Are you okay?" I mumbled.

She nodded. "I'm okay." She pulled away. "And so is the baby." Her gaze softened. "Are you okay?"

I took a deep breath. "I will be," I promised.

She smiled. "I know you will be." Her smiled grew a little. "And now you have Carl."

I looked over at him and smiled. "I've always had Carl. It's just different now.

She nodded and I turned as I saw my mom walk over.

I hugged Maggie one more time before walking over to her.

"Mom," I whispered.

She sighed and grabbed my hands. "There's something I need to give you."

She reached into her pocket and pulled out the necklace that my dad had given me, causing my heart to skip a beat. I had been looking for that necklace ever since I had gotten home.

"He noticed you had left it home," she whispered. "So he was gonna give it to you. I guess he forgot. It was in his pocket."

She put it in my hand and I felt my eyes water as I looked at it. I brought my gaze up to her and smiled softly. We hugged and I remembered how much I missed my mom's hugs.

After we pulled away, I put the necklace on and took her hand.

"We'll be okay," I reiterated.

She nodded. "Yes we will."

The whole group looked around at each other with little smiles on our faces and I knew we were all on the same page.

We were ready to fight.

With Rick leading, we all came together and walked to the Big House as a family.