Spend

Much to the disapproval of Glenn and my parents, I decided to go on a run with Glenn, Noah, Eugene, Tara, Nicholas, and Aiden.

After saying goodbye to my parents who were already at their jobs, I went to meet everyone.

Noah was trying and failing to give Eugene a gun.

"Just take it," I told him as I approached. "I won't be able to protect you the whole time like I usually do."

He protested about going for a bit before finally taking the gun.

As Tara and Noah got into a conversation and so did Aiden and his parents, I went over to see Glenn and Maggie.

"All set?" Maggie asked us when I came over. We nodded. "You guys got this. You always do."

She gave Glenn a kiss and, as he walked to the car, she turned to me.

"I'm surprised Glenn's letting you come," she commented softly. "He's still really worked up over last time. He'll probably be trying to protect you the entire time."

I chuckled. "He's a good guy."

"Yes, he is," she agreed.

"Hey, have you seen Carl today?"

She thought about it. "I think he's hanging out with Ron, Enid, and Mikey right now."

I nodded. Of course he was. "If you see him, do you think you could tell him where I am?"

"Of course," she complied. She opened her arms and I walked into them. We hugged tightly for a moment before pulling away.

"Be safe," she told me.

I smiled softly. "I will."

"Power grid was a prototype," Reg said as I caught up with Glenn. "I'm surprised it took this long to start acting up."

"We'll get it going," Glenn promised and I nodded, agreeing with him.

"Daylight's burning," Aiden reminded. "Let's go!"

I rolled my eyes when I heard that idiot's voice but I obeyed. I got in the car and Glenn did the same a moment later.

He sat next to me as we started rolling. Tara was trying to get information out of Noah about a girl named Holly when an awful remix started playing on the radio, causing all of us to laugh.

Once we calmed down, Glenn sighed and turned to me.

"You shouldn't have come today," he pointed out.

"Glenn-" I started, ready to give him my reasons that I would be okay.

"I can't have you getting hurt," he interrupted. I stopped and just listened. "This group needs you, whether you believe that or not. They do. Without you, I never would have found Maggie."

I didn't want to interrupt him but I couldn't accept what he said. "Yes, you would have. I wasn't the reason you found her. I just helped the process along a little. You and Maggie are meant to be. Anyone who knows anything about you two can attest to that. And couples like that always find their way back to each other. No matter what."

Glenn smiled softly. "Thank you. But my point still stands. This group needs you. And I can't have you getting hurt."

I sighed and rested my head on his shoulder. "I won't. I promise."

•••

When we got to the warehouse, we all filed out of the car.

"That's it there?" Tara asked, looking at the building.

"That's the warehouse," Aiden confirmed. "Looks like that door is our fastest way in and out."

"We should know all the exits first," Glenn interjected. "So there's a plan of anything goes south."

"Already got one," Nicholas shot back. "It's called going out the front."

I rolled my eyes.

"Noah, heads up," Tara warned. We turned to see a walker heading for us.

Noah raised his gun.

"Wait," I said, putting my hand on his arm. "Don't waste the bullet." I took out my knife and walked forward, slicing the walker's head in half.

I flicked the blood off the blade and walked back.

"Impressive," Aiden commented.

I scoffed slightly. "It's not that hard. You should try it sometime." I gave him an annoyed smile.

Tara chuckled and Aiden glared at me for a moment before turning to Nicholas. "Glenn's right. We should do a perimeter check. Know our exits just in case."

We all nodded and we split into group. In one group was me, Glenn, and Noah while Tara and Eugene were in the other.

"Nice job with the walker back there," Glenn said as we walked.

I chuckled. "The fact that Aiden thought it was impressive. I was close to doing the same thing to that idiot the last run."

Glenn laughed. "Me too."

We heard snarling and the three of us jogged towards the sound.

A fence separated us from an entire herd of walkers in the front of the building.

"Well we're definitely not going out the front way," Noah stated.

•••

Once we had reunited with everyone, Glenn opened the door to the warehouse and banged on it to attract any walkers while Tara and I held up our guns.

When no walkers came, we slowly walked inside, shutting the door behind us.

"Okay," Glenn whispered. "Let's move."

We split into two groups and walked down the aisles of boxes. Noah and I walked behind Glenn, letting him take charge of this situation.

Suddenly, we heard metal clanging. Glenn immediately shushed us and we held still. The clanging was followed closely by the snarling of walkers.

"They're stick behind something," Glenn observed quietly.

"How do you know?" Aiden asked.

"I don't. But they're not here."

"So what do we do?" I asked.

"We keep going."

I nodded and we continued walking. I held my gun tighter, feeling my hand shame slightly.

Suddenly, the snarling came from right next to us.

We turned to see the walkers were behind a fence.

Glenn stepped in front of me slightly and I stayed where I was. If he was set on protecting me, I didn't wanna go against him.

We decided we didn't need to take them out and we split up to continue searching.

I was looking through a box when I heard silenced gunshots coming from Aiden's gun. The walker had this full body armor suit on and Aiden's attempts at shooting him were failing.

"It's got armor on," Glenn called. "Let it come closer."

"I got it," Aiden called back. He shot the walker in the leg, causing it to fall to the floor.

Glenn and I exchanged a look and we went over.

He was shooting the walker in the chest. Glenn's eyes widened when we noticed the walker had bombs on him.

"Aiden, stop!" Glenn shouted.

But it was too late. Aiden shot the thing in the chest again and the bomb exploded.