The Key Part 3

After finally managing to somewhat compose myself, I knocked on Maggie's door, clutching the letter and photo to my chest.

I couldn't do this alone. I would probably end up doing something stupid.

Maggie opened the door, her eyes widening a little when she saw me.

"Bree," she said softly, her voice full of confused concern as she took in my blotchy eyes and tear-streaked cheeks.

Slowly, she realized and her gaze immediately softened.

"Oh, sweetheart," she whispered and pulled me into a hug.

As her arms wrapped around me, I couldn't help it. I started sobbing again.

She brought me inside and sat me down on the edge of her bed. She sat next to me and put her arm around me, rubbing my shoulder comfortingly.

I looked around as I slowly calmed down. Despite living with Jesus and Enid, she was alone.

"Where are Jesus and Enid?" I asked shakily as I wiped my eyes.

"They're finishing up gate watch," she explained before waiting for me to speak again.

I took a deep breath and stared down at my hands. "How did you do it?"

She sighed, knowing I meant Glenn. She grabbed by hand and squeezed it.

"I'm still trying to do it," she admitted. "I still have dreams about him sometimes. I still cry over him once in a while. It's still not easy. The only thing that helps is time." She seemed to study me. "You were in love with him, weren't you?"

I waited a moment before giving a tiny nod.

She gave me an empathetic look. "It's gonna be really hard for so long. There are gonna be nights where you miss him so much that your whole body hurts. There's gonna times where you turn to tell him something before remembering he's not there....there's gonna be times where all you want is his arms around you."

I closed my eyes as a tear rolled down my cheek. Maggie lifted my chin to make me look at her.

"But I will be here to help whenever you need me to be, okay?"

I nodded softly. "I've lost someone I love before."

She gave me a confused look.

"Her name was Amanda. She was in one of our first groups when this whole thing started. Her and I were best friends. I was probably, like, thirteen. I didn't realize I loved her until it was too late."

Maggie gave me a sad look and wiped away a tear on my chin. She wordlessly pulled me into a hug.

I rested my head on her shoulder, feeling like a child safe in a loved one's arms.

———
An: BREE IS BI! this is something i recently learned about her and i was trying to find the right time to reveal it. now just felt right.

also this scene sounds a lot like when cheryl comes out as a lesbian in riverdale but i s2g i didn't mean for it to lol