Mercy

Carl and I watched as Rick packed up to meet with the Hilltop and the Kingdom to invade the Sanctuary.

I had really wanted to go with him but was eventually convinced to stay and watch over Alexandria.

After saying goodbye to Judith, he walked over to Michonne and kissed her.

I nudged Carl. "Come on," I said softly.

I stood up and Carl did as well, taking my hand. We walked over to them and Rick turned to us.

He took off Carl's hat and hugged him before hugging me.

He pulled away and kept his hands on my shoulders.

"You sure you're gonna be okay leading this place by yourself?"

I shrugged. "Sure. Telling people what to do, their lives being in my hands, taking over the world." I chuckled nervously. "It's an occupation."

He breathed out a smile and nodded.

He gave us both an assured look as his truck rolled up. "This is the end of it."

I felt a wave of doubt as he got in the truck and drove off.

Carl turned to me. "I'll head to gate watch. Meet me there?"

I nodded and he kissed me quickly before heading off.

Glancing at Michonne, I walked over to stand next to her.

"I know you wanted to go with him," I commented, crossing my arms tiredly. "I did, too."

"Everything hurts," she replied. Though she was probably mostly talking about her body considering she got badly beat up during the fight, I could tell it was more than that.

She looked at me and put a hand on my shoulder. "But I'll help you defend this place."

I exhaled. "Thanks, Michonne."

She nodded. "This is your show, Bree."

A little smile tugged at my lips and I impulsively pulled her into a hug.

She seemed a little surprised at first but hugged me back, chuckling softly.

"Thank you for believing in me," I whispered.

She rubbed my back and we pulled away.

"You don't wanna keep Carl waiting," she noted.

I smiled and nodded. I waved to her and headed off.

•••

"What do you think about bringing new people in?" Carl asked, bringing me out of my thoughts.

I looked at him, away from the world outside the walls. "What?"

He leaned his elbows on the post. "You know, inviting new people into Alexandria."

I checked the clip on my gun as I thought about it. "I don't know. I haven't really considered it in a while. Why?"

He shrugged. "Just something I've been thinking about lately."

I sighed. "I guess I don't really like the thought of it right now. Not so soon after...my parents. And Glenn."

Adjusting to life without them had been really hard. I still wasn't quite adapted. I never could visit my dad's or Glenn's graves since they were in Hilltop, but I visited my mom's every day. I still cried sometimes, but it was happening less and less, the pain in my heart slowly replacing the tears.

He nodded. "Yeah. I get that."

He was silent after that and I looked over at him. "Why? You haven't been looking, have you?" A little bit of alarm had crept into my voice as I thought about Carl going outside the walls.

"No," he assured, though there was a little hesitation. "Just something I was thinking about. Promise."

I nodded warily and sighed, looking back out at the forest outside Alexandria that seemed to stretch forever.

"Also," he spoke up again, making me glance over. "It's okay if you want someone to help lead with you."

A smile crept onto my face. "Why? Are you volunteering?"

He shrugged overdramatically. "Maybe."

I chuckled and put a hand on his face. "I'd be honored if you helped me lead, Carl Grimes."

As he stared at me with a smile on his face, I realized that I didn't know what I'd do without him.