Wrath Part 2

All of us slowly looked around, guns at the ready, looking for the Saviors.

"Well, d*mn, Rick," came Negan's voice through the radio, making my finger on the trigger tense. "Look at that. Pegged again. Pegged so very hard. I ambushed your ambush with an even bigger ambush."

"How about you step out and face us?" Rick yelled angrily.

"Oh, I am everywhere, Rick," he responded. "Some more bullhorns, more walkies. Pick a direction to run. See how you do. Make it fun for all of us. Guess what else I did. I brought you some of your old friends."

Rick and I exchanged a glance.

"Remember your old buddy Eugene?" he asked. "Well, he is the person who made today possible. Same goes for Dwighty boy here. In case you were wondering, he didn't ream you on purpose. No, he is just a gutless nothing that sucks at life, and now he gets to stand up here and watch all of you die, and he's gonna live with that. Gabriel, well, he's gotta go, too. We are cleaning house today, Rick. And then, there's you and Bree."

My grip on my gun tightened. My stomach clenched but I couldn't tell if it was from this or whatever I was catching.

"It never had to be a fight," Negan continued. "You just had to accept how things are. So here we go. Congratulations, Rick."

Suddenly, the walkie clicked off. We all looked at each other uneasily, our fingers restlessly on the trigger.

"3!" Negan's voice suddenly boomed.

My breath hitched in my throat.

"2!"

Immediately, we saw a huge line of Saviors coming into view at the top of the hill. We all raised our weapons.

"1!"

On cue, all of the Saviors' guns started exploding in their hands. They all fell to the ground either dead or in pain.

What the hell?

Cutting through the confusion, Rick yelled, "Now!" and we all charged forward.

I immediately started shooting at every Savior I saw. Hot tears pricked my eyes.

"Negan's running!" Maggie shouted, snapping back to attention.

I wanted to run after him but commotion off to the side caught my attention.

Saviors were closing in on Eugene and I suddenly knew why.

He had programmed the Saviors' guns to blow up. He was helping us.

Without thinking, I ran forward and shot them all down.

Eugene slowly gave me a shocked look before nodding gratefully.

I nodded curtly back before continuing the fight.

•••

Once the gunfire calmed down, we all moved as a group over the hill. Soon, we came to a group of Saviors with their hands in the air.

We all raised our guns.

"Don't shoot," a girl in the front of the group begged. "Please." She got on her knees. "We're done. It's over." She nodded to everyone else and they kneeled as well.

I studied the girl closer and saw that I recognized her. She had come to Alexandria a couple of times.

Suddenly, something dawned on me.

"Hey, where's Rick?" I asked my group.

•••

Leading the Saviors and the group, I eventually found Rick fighting Negan.