No Sanctuary

I finally got the names of the four newcomers.

Rick was apparently the leader of Glenn, Maggie, and Bob's group. Vest Man, Daryl, was his right-hand man. Dreadlocks's name was Michonne and the kid's name was Carl, Rick's son.

"They seemed nice enough but I was ready to go," my dad said to Michonne, explaining how we ended up in the train car. We were getting ready to fight back. "We just got here but, damn, it was time to go. When I told them about D.C., a wink and a nod from the head asshole in charge, they pulled their guns and it was right back to our regularly scheduled shitstorm."

I sharpened my makeshift knife. I could feel Carl's eyes on me again but I sighed and ignored him.

"Black car," Daryl explained to Bob, Maggie, and Glenn. "With a white cross painted on it. I tried to follow it. I tried."

"But she's alive?" Maggie asked.

"She's alive," Daryl confirmed.

I had no idea what they were talking about, but whatever.

We heard voices. They were getting louder and louder and I sharpened my knife quicker.

"Alright," Daryl informed. "I got four of them pricks coming our way."

"How close?" I asked, trying not to panic.

"Maybe three yards," Daryl answered.

"Alright," Rick said. "Y'all know what to do. Go for their eyes first. Then their throats."

We all got into fighting stance, ready to attack.

"Put your backs to the wall on either end of the car," one of the men called from outside.

Shut up, I thought.

We became confused when we heard footsteps on the roof and a hatch open above us.

They dropped a bomb down.

"Move!" my dad immediately yelled and we all ran to the end of the car as the smoke bomb exploded.

We started coughing violently.

The doors opened and they came in, taking, Rick, Daryl, Glenn, and Bob away.

•••

I was pacing the car around an hour back when we heard a loud explosion.

Now, my dad was pounding the door.

"What the hell is going on?" he mumbled angrily.

"Someone hit them," Michonne guessed.

"Maybe our people got free," Maggie hoped.

I came up next to my dad and hit the door once in frustration. None of them better be dead.

"Excuse me," Eugene mumbled, walking past my mom.

He kneeled down next to the bombshell and started messing with it.

"What the hell are you doing?" Rosita asked.

"I might be able to use this shell to compromise the door," Eugene explained. "From the sound of things, there may not be anybody left to open it.

"Eugene," Tara breathed. "I'm sorry, but shut up."

"Agreed," I added, pounding on the door again.

"Hey," Carl said, walking up to us. "My dad will come back. They all are."

That was the first time I ever heard Carl speak, and for some reason, it intrigued me.

"They are," Maggie said, agreeing with Carl. "And we need to get ready to fight our way out with them when they do."