Chapter 6

Maths was pointless.

I could be practising my powers of deduction. I could be learning how to make a living. I could be learning how to write a CV.

But no.

Thank goodness I could graph a polynomial function (whatever that was.). I wasn't going to fill my hard drive with bull like that that I would never, ever need to use. Well, the internet could do it for me!

Sherlock would get me out of the homework.

I hoped.

We had break next. Allie and I went and hung out in the form room, getting to know each other better. Meaning, the stupid things, like when each other's birthdays were, or our favourite subjects and colours.

I left out the part about how one of my best friends was a murderer, and the fact that my father was Sherlock Holmes.

In turn, she left out the details about her brother and parents. It was sort of an unspoken agreement - we were going to need something to talk about during the lunch break as we ate, didn't we?

Best friends in an hour an a half - go us.

We then had an excruciatingly pointless - and easy - French lesson - Je vais, Tu va, il va, Elle va, nous allons, vous allez, Ils sont, elles sont. It took an hour to learn the different variations of the verb, aller.

At least. I think that was right.

It means to go, right?

Anyway, moving on.

English was next - the class had previously read 'Jane Eyre', and were writing up essays as an assessed piece.

I was so lucky.

I got out of reading Jane Eyre, yay.

The teacher, Miss Jones or something, was a young woman with short blonde hair, and she looked nice enough. She told me to just pick a book from the bookshelf that I had read, or that I knew something about, and write an essay explaining the different techniques the writer uses to convey emotions.

Bor-ing.

Nice first impression - him I'm your teacher, now sit down and do a controlled assessment in your first ever English lesson here.

I just thought, screw this. I just read a book called The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, because I 'didn't know any of the books'.

Notice the quotation marks.

Well, I got myself out of doing an assessment. I get it - I'm good at English. You don't need to keep telling me!

It was our lunch break next - we had an hour. Allie and I went to the canteen and got food, and then went back to the form room.

We fully opened up to each other then.

It was funny how I felt I could trust someone that I had known for a few hours more than a lot of other people.